Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old photographs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 12 Aug 2010 15:03

Can someone tell me how I can get copies of old photographs. I have a scanner but they are not scanning well and therefore not printing well.

I have quite a few to copy onto a disc. Which is the best way to do it please?

Dee

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Aug 2010 15:11

You could try taking a digital photo of them. I have got some great images this way - even using the phone camera. Or you could always go to snapp snaps or similar photographic shop..

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 12 Aug 2010 15:44

Thank you Barbara, never thought of that.

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 14 Aug 2010 10:06

As said above check the dpi (dots per inch) the scanner is set to. Also check the 'mode' you are scanning in. Most scanners have pre-set scan modes and if you have it set to scan documents rather than photographs then they will not come out very good.

Mark.

stewart45

stewart45 Report 14 Aug 2010 14:58

I took about 30 old photos to a kodak shop and they downloaded and printed two sets of photos for $68 plus I got the disc.so can print as many as I want.Stewart

Alan

Alan Report 14 Aug 2010 21:36

When you scan the photo you should be able to select the dpi (dots per inch) setting which sets the scanner resolution. If you want to print the photo without enlarging it then a setting of 300dpi should be fine. If you wish to enlarge the photo then double the dpi number each time you double the enlargement size. So for example choose 600dpi if you wish to print the photo at double size. Hope this makes sense - and make sure your scanner glass is clean!

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 14 Aug 2010 22:10

If you decide to try using a camera to photograph your old snaps, it usually works better if you use the "macro" or close-up setting.

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 16 Aug 2010 14:10

Thanks to all for the help.
I have discovered that I had the configeration set to Black and White (hence the negative quality copies), once set to colour, they come out much better.
The Dpi information is useful for sizing. I will try that too.
Many many thanks
Dee