Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

French Genealogy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 12 Aug 2010 19:11

Does anyone have some reliable web sites they use when it comes to finding your ancestors in France??

Did France have censuses??

Ive just found an ancestor died in Paris in 1864 . He's English & married in Wandsworth in 1842 ( no wonder I couldn't find them on census of England )

Any help/suggestions most welcome ..... feeling like a duck out of water

Thanks

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 12 Aug 2010 19:23

I have just found this website that might be useful to you, its about french geneology.

http://genealogy.about.com/od/france/a/french_ancestry_5.htm

Nicola

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 12 Aug 2010 19:29

Hi Nicola

Thank you ........ I'll give it a whirl now as it says census takings were every 5 yrs .........

Debi

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Aug 2010 19:43

France can be found on this website too - free!!

http://www.ancestorhunt.com/mormon_church_records.htm

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 12 Aug 2010 19:57

Thanks Ann ....... been there done that . Im googling like mad too

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 14 Aug 2010 18:50

Thanks for that tip... will do

Ive decided I need to obtain a copy of the will & go from there ( hopefully its not in French )