Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The National Archives in Kew

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Middy

Middy Report 13 Aug 2010 14:51

Hi

Was just looking for some advice and guidance of going to the National Archives in Kew - I was wondering what information you can look up there and also whether you have to order prior to going to look at information or can you just turn up.

Any help is gratefully received

Thanks

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Aug 2010 15:23

Middy

There's just too much available there to summarise it here! What sort of things are you looking for?

You don't have to book, you can just turn up, but if you want to look at original documents rather than just use the computers or look at Microfiche and Microfilm, then you'll need a Readers Ticket. You need to take ID - Have a look at their website whcih explains what ID you need.

Middy

Middy Report 13 Aug 2010 15:28

Hi

Well there are some birth certificates, merchant navy records, death certificates, etc

I am trying to make a proper list of bits and bobs - I have read what you can and can't take with you so I am organised there, so do you literally just go in and sit at a computer or will someone help

Sorry I have never been before so want to be a little bit prepared

Thanks x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Aug 2010 15:30

What are you hoping to achieve and expecting to find, and have you looked at the website to see what is available? You can view such things as copies of the census returns and BMD indexes without restriction in the public viewing areas,

However, if you wish to look at original documents (for example, I wanted to see my father's Naturalisation file and documents) you will need a Reader's Card before you can access the secure areas where they are kept. You will also need to order the documents you wish to look at - expect to wait half an hour or so for them to be retrieved.

Middy

Middy Report 13 Aug 2010 15:39

Hi Inspector

Thanks for the information - it is really certificates BMD if I can - I can see the census' at home and also the BMD info but wanted to see the cert's to be able to clarify the parents, etc.

Also looking to few some Merchant Naval Records

Thanks
x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Aug 2010 15:39

You won't be able to see actual birth marriage or death certificates, only copies of the index. The actual certs can only be purchased from the GRO or the Register Office were the event was registered.

There are people who will answer questions and point you in the right direction, but you have to do your own searching.

Middy

Middy Report 13 Aug 2010 16:05

Thanks Inspector

Perhaps not really worth going then as I can see the BMD indexs on line

That's a shame - but never mind, at least I can save the train fare now

xx

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Aug 2010 16:23

You can look at Merchant Navy records there, though!

Middy

Middy Report 13 Aug 2010 16:31

Hi

I supppose and that would be good to look at as my great grandad died at sea - I have his death certificate but very interested to find out more - some of the records are held in Canada and they charge $40 per hour for research - so fingers crossed that the NA do have the records I want and would be good to research in person

x

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Aug 2010 17:11

Have a read of their Research Guides to Merchant Navy records which you'll find on their website. From those you should be able to work out what they have for the relevant period.