Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

comuter alert!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

oldbean

oldbean Report 14 Aug 2010 07:36

Please help! I was using my cmputer last night and suddenly a large box with shields and all other icons appeared telling me about Trojans and infections and loads of bumph that I am not familiar with. I didnt do anything at the time. I have turned on this morning all seems fine but how do I know if I have a problem please and how to solve it please?

oldbean

oldbean Report 14 Aug 2010 07:46

Thanks Beverley, I have just got my manual and was about to check. I thought I would ask on here as there are many people who have more knowledge than me about computers, its like cars when they are running ok I can cope!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Aug 2010 09:50

It was most likely a scam - you did right to ignore it. No reputable security software companies advertise in this way.

Clicking on it can actually cause your computer to become and you are then tempted to part with money to fix it....!

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 14 Aug 2010 09:55

It sounds like a pop-up advert from a fake anti-virus outfit. They pop up and con people into clicking on them by showing fake results - even going through the animated motions of appearing to do a search. The fake AV software is installed when you click on the pop-up (only click the X in the top right - do not click a close or cancel button it offers you) and it continues to show you the fake results after install and then further cons you to pay to 'upgrade' it to a 'professional' version whereupon the faked results magically disappear as it 'cleans' your machine.

You need to run a full scan with whatever Anti-virus software you use to ensure this bogus AV software isn't installed.

Mark.

oldbean

oldbean Report 14 Aug 2010 18:44

Thank you IGP amd MM-sorry not to reply before but I was cleaning up my computer and deleting history etc etc as I was concerned as you say if it was a scam. I thought no one else would respond so hadn't looked 'til now so thank you for
re-iterating what I guessed might be happening.

oldbean xx