Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 14 Aug 2010 15:21

I am considering buying some software for my tree; any recommendations (or warnings to avoid) would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Jo

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 14 Aug 2010 15:31

I use Family Tree Maker 2010 which came with 6mths free Ancestry world cover subs. I like it because it gives relationship to home person, you can print aspects of your tree in a book or tree format. I find it easy to use which is always good.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Aug 2010 15:32

well I have Family Tree Maker the latest version is i believe the 2010 version . when buying it you usually get subs to Ancestry for a period . i got 3 months when I bought the 2006 version.
Lots of people like the FTM but there are free software too like Legacy from the Family Search site.I did have that originally but prefer the FTM for ease of input and the types of genealogy reports etc you can print off

Joanne

Joanne Report 14 Aug 2010 15:36

Thanks, do you know if there is an expiry on the free subscription bit - as I have just renewed my subscription with Ancestry?

Thanks
Jo

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 14 Aug 2010 15:40

I'd ring ancestry and tell them that you are considering getting FTM with a free subscription. Does that mean your current subs will be extended by the free offer which comes with the software. I suspect it does.

Joanne

Joanne Report 18 Aug 2010 17:27

Just for info really; I have just spoken to Ancestry customer services who have told me that the six months will be added to the end of my current subscription.

So it's probably worthwhile doing.

Thanks for your comments.