Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Domi male habeus?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 14 Aug 2010 21:05

Anybody know what this means? I t was against a record of birth from 1765.

hotchoc

hotchoc Report 14 Aug 2010 21:22

Hi Paul,
i know its Latin. The word Domi is 'home' so im thinking that it meant he was born at home.
Pearl x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Aug 2010 21:31

Habeus mans something like have, had. Male sounds like bad? Doesn't really work in this context though!
Jan

masami

masami Report 14 Aug 2010 21:50

using a latin translation it means

"At home badly government"

hope it helps!!

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 15 Aug 2010 08:57

http://archives.nd.edu/words.html

Probably is "male born at home"

Were there any females listed on the same documents to confirm it was male/female?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Aug 2010 10:45

interesting site here for Latin phrases - some rather rude!!

http://www.latinsayings.info/search/label/

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Aug 2010 11:04

I don't think Male is the same in Latin as it is in English. It would mean something like 'bad' or 'ill'.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Aug 2010 11:33

I put the phrase in a Latin/English translation site and it came up with

At home badly government......which is what masami found.

So could it be a comment about the home conditions? Or the morals/behaviour of the parent/s?

Individual words came up as

Domi - at home
Male - badly, wickedly, ill, with evil intent, wrongly
Habeus -government, reins

We mustn't forget the Priests didn't necessarily have a good grasp of latin or its spelling

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 15 Aug 2010 12:21

I have been racking my brains, or what is left of them, as we had to learn and speak Latin at times when I was at school, many years ago.
Also until fairly recent times, well for the catholic church it is recent in the time scale all our masses were iin Latin. in fact i =n spain where i stll have my main home the masses are still on Latin.
This is what i think it meant at the time of 1760s.

"Habeas" in English "You have" Habeas can have many meanings.

"Domi" short version of "Dominus" meaning "Lady"

"Corpus" meaning "the body" which does not mean the child is dead but so recently born would not have been christened so called in the church of the time " the body.

I hope this helps

Bridget

holamiga

holamiga Report 15 Aug 2010 12:30

Thinking of English words in general use like

malcontent, malevolent, malodorous and medical ones such as petit mal ( minor fit ) malaise ( feeling unwell ) malignant, mal as a prefix is not good news.
Interesting topic.
It could also refer to a domiciliary birth withproblems in labour such as baby coming feet first, cord round the neck etc. which were difficult to manage
Norma

Janet

Janet Report 15 Aug 2010 14:48

pm

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Aug 2010 19:26

Some interesting responses here - including Janet's hilarious personal message that she wisely chose not to broadcast!

This particular birth was in a comfortable home, so I doubt that the comment was a reflection on circumstances. In fact I saw the same phrase against a number of births.

Bridget's contribution makes me wonder if it's simply saying that this was a difficult birth.

wellybobs

wellybobs Report 16 Aug 2010 16:14

Hi have you tried googling it, we did that with a couple of latin words which were used as cause of death on the certificate and it came up with some answers.