Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anybody with medical knowledge?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 14 Aug 2010 21:17

Against the 1767 birth entry of my ancestor Richard Wilmshurst is this touching note: "The mother died this morning very suddenly, being seemingly in good health just as she was going down stairs".

It was four days after Richard's birth. This suggests to me it was not a straightforward death in childbirth but something that happened as a result of the childbirth. What could this have been? I have wondered if it was an embolism or something. Clearly it was something unusual enough to warrant this extra comment.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Aug 2010 21:23

I'd say your guess is as good as any. Pulmonary embolism as a result of a DVT can be sudden and catastrophic, and wouldn't be unheard of after childbirth.

Have a look at this:

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/e/embolism.htm
Jan