Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mistakes on the 1911 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 14 Aug 2010 23:52

Hi,
Is it possible to see the original page of the 1911 census rather than the enumerators summary, I have grandchildren listed as nephew and niece and a misspelt surname and i wonder if it's a mistake by the enumerator or the family giving wrong details, as i have found them doing this in previous censuses.
Thanks.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 15 Aug 2010 00:07

yes you can view original page on

www.findmypast.co.uk

or www.1911census.co.uk

the first is pay per view or subscription and the second site is pay per view.

Peter

Peter Report 15 Aug 2010 00:14

Thanks Tooty Fruity.
So much for this Platinum account I've just upgraded to.

Cathy

Cathy Report 15 Aug 2010 00:32

Peter who are you looking for? I have a full subscription for findmypast including the 1911 Census. If you'd like me to look for you I'd be very happy to....

Kind regards,

Cathy

Peter

Peter Report 15 Aug 2010 00:46

Thanks Cathy,
I have George and Nancy Hitchen in Adlington Lancs, Living with them is Daughter Nancy Hodson and her two children who should be Richard and Edith born in USA, The enumerator summary has them as Hodgson and nephew and niece of George Hitchen. If you could check what it actually says I would be very grateful

Regards

Cathy

Cathy Report 15 Aug 2010 00:59

Hi Peter,

Yes it is Richard and Edith aged 3 and 2 born in America. It does say Hodgson on the original and they are Nephew and niece on the original.

Hope that helps?

Kind regards,

Cathy

Peter

Peter Report 15 Aug 2010 01:03

Cheers for that Cathy

Regards

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Aug 2010 05:44

Peter

just for your information

The 1911 census original page was actually filled out by the Head of the Household ........ so you can see your ancestor's handwriting.

This also means that any "mistake" was done by him ....... not by the enumerator.

It is the first census in which you can see this.

The transcribed page that you see is a modern version

oh ......................

and the Platinum (and Gold) memberships on here really aren't worth the money!!

GR does not carry any records itself, they just direct you to other sites

which means, among other things, that you cannot move from one census page to the next (or the one before) if your family happens to be split.

Nor can you send in changes if you spot a mistranscribed name, birth place, etc

And, as you have found out, you cannot see the original pages of the 1911 either!

sylvia