Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hotel bill 18th century

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Aug 2010 19:39

My ancestor ran an inn during the late 18th century and yesterday I visited the local museum where I was delighted to find a customer's bill from the period. Everything was itemised, so it was clear that it was as efficiently run as any modern hotel. Neatly listed were Breakfast for 1s4d, Lunch 6s, Tea 1s4d, Dinner 1s6d, Supper 6d. Separately itemised was a Welch Rabbit for 6d. Bed was 2s.

This particular customer's bill, though, comprised mainly of booze - Porter, Tot [rum], Grog [diluted rum] Spirits and Ale. I can only assume he was entertaining clients at the hotel!

One item is repeated many times on the bill. It looks like 'flip', but I have no idea what that could mean.

Any ideas?

Peter

Peter Report 15 Aug 2010 19:45

Hi Paul

There was a drink called egg flip or egg nog which would fit in with the bender they seemed to be on google egg flip for more details

Pete

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 15 Aug 2010 19:46

"A flip is a class of mixed drinks. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term was first used in 1695 to describe a mixture of beer, rum, and sugar, heated with a red-hot iron ("Thus we live at sea; eat biscuit, and drink flip"). The iron would cause the drink to froth up, and it is from this frothing (or "flipping") that the name was born. Over time, the proportion of eggs and sugar would increase, the beer would gradually be left out, and the drink would cease to be served hot."

Oh, Pete beat me to it!

Peter

Peter Report 15 Aug 2010 19:48

mine didn,t sound as nice as yours lol

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Aug 2010 21:18

Well, there's only one thing I can say in response to your help.... "Cheers"!