Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surrogacy.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 16 Aug 2010 03:30

Hi all,
as well as my own babies i have given birth to 4 surrogate babies for 3 couples. What happens if the children want to contact me aged 18? The original birth cert remains but the couple obtain a new one with their names on when a PO is granted.
I am told they are entered into another register so would be aware should they need a new birth cert Who can access this register?
I would love them to be able to trace us.

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Aug 2010 12:30

I would have assumed really that this question would have been researched by all parties before the agreement was made? maybe it's me but that would have been one of the first questions to ask before proceeding.

I assume the GRO will be able to advise you?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Aug 2010 12:50

No one but the child can access the * other register* as the formallities will have been processed as a legal adoption.

Jane

Jane Report 18 Aug 2010 03:28

Hi,
no, surrogacy is not adoption.

At birth the birth mother, surrogate mum, has parental responsibility for the child. If she is married then her husband has to go down as the father. If unmarried the genetic dad can then obtain half PR with the surrogate mum. This basically means that my husband and I are legal parents at time of registration even though neither of us are genetically linked to the baby. Hopefully this will be changed soon.

Between 6wks and 6mths the IP`s, genetic parents, apply to the courts for a Parental Order. Once granted the genetic parents receive a new birth certificate which replaces the first birth cert and has the parent`s names on.

Every time we register our surro babes there is always a problem. We end up speaking to the superintendent registrar who is also confused with it.

We have a fantastic relationship with our surrobabes and their parents but this is never brought up pre-pregnancy. Every question you can imagine is asked but not about the birth cert.

You have to be so honest and open when going through surrogacy and i don`t know anyone who wants to be distanced from their tummymumy though i do wonder, if there was a breakdown in communication, what the child would be met with if they are not told as they grow.

Penny

Penny Report 18 Aug 2010 07:39

are still interested, read here

http://www.surrogacyuk.org/whatissurrogacyc.html

Jane

Jane Report 18 Aug 2010 11:40

Hi Minnie,
yes that is SUK, i have been a member with them and COTS but no-one mentions the register once the original birth cert is replaced. I just wondered if they searched as an adult how they would be told by the registrar if they are not told by their parents.