Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage certificate,fathers name dead!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 16 Aug 2010 22:43

Hi
I have a 1837 marriage certificate,on the fathers name it reads 'Dead', is it common place for the father not to be named if dead or maybe my ancestor didn't know who is father was!!!. Its the 1st time i have seen this on a marriage cerificate,and when someone is a child born out of wedlock they just put a line through and not write 'dead'.

Mark

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Aug 2010 22:49

Because your certificate is from 1837 and registration only started in July of that year I suspect that even some registrars were not absolutely certain what should be entered on some parts of the certificate, so decided he would just state the obvious.

Kath. x

Mark

Mark Report 16 Aug 2010 22:58

Thanks Kath

Thought it was obvious!!!, I would have to assume it might of been common place ,but i've had marriage certificates where the father has been dead years and they fill there name in as if still alive, so i would also have to assume when they asked my ancestor 'who's your father' and he replied 'hes dead' they wrote 'dead. If a person doesn't say they father is deceased,they won't write deceased.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Aug 2010 23:00

SNAP.

My ggg grandmother was married in 1837 and her father's name is Dead too. Most unhelpful, but nowt we can do. She might not have known who he was, might have forgotten his name, might have thought it was unimportant (didn't think about me 173 years later trying to trace her). I'm even pretty sure who he was, from other hints, such as an unusual name she gave to one of her sons, but I still can't find him cos he died pre-registration.

Bad luck.

Mark

Mark Report 16 Aug 2010 23:02

Annoyed me though,my ancestor was a whewell of Lancaster,and wanted to prove i was connected to the Great William Whewell,professor of Cambridge,did my head in when i can't prove it,its only a possibility William Whewell is a distant Cousin,i am not directly related.

Mark

Mark Report 16 Aug 2010 23:05

Hi Madmeg

I have 2 choices of who his father was,because my ancestor was a Ironmonger,i am going with the father who was a Ironmonger,but its a educated guess.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Aug 2010 23:59

Sometimes we have to make assumptions, Mark. So long as you record the fact that it is an assumption, it doesn't invalidate your research. You could mention possible alternatives to show you have considered them. At the end of the day, we don't know who our fathers were, other than the fella named on our birth cert, and that could be a lie. We could all be descended from the Milkman!

But Hey, I have Whewells from Lancashire in my tree. alice Whewell born Oswaldtwisle 1823, daughter of John Whewell and Ellen Preston. Any connection?

Margaret

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 17 Aug 2010 08:34

Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900
about William Whewell
Name: William Whewell
College: TRINITY
Entered: Michs. 1812
Born: 24 May 1794
More Information: Adm. sizar (age 17) at TRINITY, Sept. 23, 1811. [Eldest] s. of John [master-carpenter] (and Elizabeth Bennison). B. [May 24, 1794], at Lancaster. School, Heversham. Matric. Michs. 1812; Chancellor's (English) medal, 1814; Scholar, 1815; B.A. (2nd Wrangler and 2nd Smith's prize) 1816; M.A. 1819; B.D. 1838; D.D. 1844. Fellow, 1817; Assistant Tutor, 1818-23; Tutor, 1823-39. Master, 1841-66. Vice-chancellor, 1842-3 and 1855-6. President of the Union, 1817. F.R.S., 1820. Professor of Mineralogy, 1828-32; Knightbridge Professor of Moral Philosophy, 1838-55. The Knightbridge Professorship was of small value, and had been treated as a sinecure; Whewell not only lectured, but published his lectures and wrote upon allied subjects. He also introduced Philosophy into the Trinity Fellowship examination, and took an important part in founding the Moral Sciences Tripos. Ord. priest, 1825. In 1832, gave his mineralogical books and collections to the University. President of the Philosophical Society, 1843. Married (1) Oct. 12, 1841, Cordelia (died 1855), dau. of John Marshall, of Leeds; (2) July 1, 1858, Evelina Frances Ellis. Died Mar. 6, 1866, as a result of a fall whilst riding on the Gog-Ma-Gog hills near Cambridge. Established by will the Whewell Professorship and also scholarships in International Law, maintained from the rents of Whewell's Court, Trinity, which was built at his expense. Author, Mechanics; Dynamics; History of the Inductive Sciences; Philosophy of the Inductive Sciences, etc. (Historical Register; D.N.B.)

(in case you haven't already got it!)

Chris :)

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 17 Aug 2010 12:51

My grandfather married in l9l3 and gave his father's name and occupation, so I assumed he was still alive. I sent for my great aunt's marriage cert., 1901, and it stated "father's name and deceased". My gandfather obviously wasn't asked or didn't state his father was dead.
Liz

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 17 Aug 2010 13:50

were the witnesses on the marriage cert any help? I assume from what you have said that you have found possible siblings on lan-opc

Mark

Mark Report 17 Aug 2010 19:22

My John Whewell was living in Bradford and was born in Lancaster in about 1805(maybe 1811 or 1815 as he is a different age on 3 census's), he was a Ironmonger, they was also a William Whewell living in Bradford who i am about 99% certain is John's brother,William is Accountent. Off top of my head William Whewell is the son of John Whewell and Ann may,and my John if i am correct is also the son of John Whewell and Ann May,only snag is they is a William Whewell born in Lancaster,living in Brightside Bierlow who is also a Ironmonger/whitemonger,my John used to live in Sheffield and married his 1st wife there.

I think its a save assumption my Johns parents are John Whewell and Ann May, my other info leads that way.

Thanks Chris for the info on Prof Whewell,if he has connections with Leeds(his marriage) which is great,my Whewells were living in Leeds for many years.

The witnesses don't really help,1 is his brother in law,1 is Michael ogdon and the other Joseph Morris.