Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how should I approach this?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 18 Aug 2010 00:37

I need some advice please. I have posted on here about trying to trace my dad's family, 1817 - 1911 has been easy but I have a big gap between 1911-1946.

I was contacted recently by another genes member regarding info on his gt aunt. Turns out she married my gt grandfather's brother. I had no info on this gt aunt but spent a few hours on ancestry and went back through all the census' for him. When I sent him the info I reminded him I had actually contacted him about a yr ago about this woman's husband. At the time he said a daughter was still alive & he would ask her. I never heard back (until the other day about the gt aunt).

My problem is no one seems to want to talk about this part of the family (I also managed to track down my dads cousin who was very keen but then stopped contacting me once he said he was asking family for help).

This genes member came back to me last wk, apologized for not realising we'd made previous contact & said this daughter wasn't interested in talking about her father's family. Then a few days later he emailed and said he might have some info which might explain things if I was interested. I obviously said yes and just got a reply of OK.

This massive carrot has been dangled and I have no idea what this mystery is, is it something to do with why my grandfather was sent to live with his uncle? He was only young at the time.

Do I contact this man and ask (beg) for this info, I don't want him feeling hounded. Do I forget it? Do I remind him about all the info I found? Argggghhh!

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 18 Aug 2010 11:23

We're talking about something that happened 70 - 100 yeas ago, so a few more days or weeks won't matter. Just be patient.
I contacted someone here who was related to my great grandmothers second husband. They were offended that she had been married before, they did n't know she was a war widow, 1st husband was KIA. When I pointed out she was also illegitimate, I have the military records to prove her "father" was in India with his regiment, they promptly removed their tree and refused to reply to my pm's and e-mails. People can be very touchy, tread carefully

Victoria

Victoria Report 19 Aug 2010 11:29

Many thanks for your replies. I will heed your advice and leave it alone for now, thing is the secret seems to surround my own grandfather, but I guess that if this information isn't very nice they might be reluctant to share, given that they won't know how I will react. Personally I am of the attitude that it is the past, it is something that has happened when he was a young child and that's where it ends but as has rightly been pointed out, some may take great offense.

Thanks,