Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kirsteen

Kirsteen Report 18 Aug 2010 12:42

Hi

Sorry if this is going to sound really dumb, but I am about to order a death ceritifcate and just wondered in advance what information I can or am likely to find and is it worth it?

Thanks in advance
Kirsteen

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Aug 2010 12:48

What year was the death?

The really early ones are rather hazy re. cause of death and you might even get
'Old Age'...or
'Visitation by God'
but they are always interesting, I think.

More recent ones ( after 1969 ) show a woman's maiden name and possibly other surnames she had been known by
Place and date of birth will also be there, dependant on the informant's knowledge.
Often the informant was a previously unknown relative and further research can take you off on a whole new branch of your tree.

Gwyn

Kirsteen

Kirsteen Report 18 Aug 2010 12:51

Thanks for the reply. The deaths are 1896 and 1901 although I may have to do a bit more research as both "conveniently" seem to have died in teh same month in the same place - and yes they have the same name!

Kirsteen

Kirsteen Report 18 Aug 2010 13:01

Also, would a death certificate give any indication of where they were buried? If not, where would I be able to find out this info?

Thanks

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Aug 2010 13:30

Using the home address given on the death certificate, you may be able to find the nearest churchyard or cemetery.
Church records might be lodged with individual churches, but cemetery plans will probably be with the Parks / Cemeteries department of the local council.
Sometimes the lists are available at a main library or archive in that area.

Be aware that death might occur far from home, although for the dates you mention, that is less likely.
Visits to family members, work locations or hospital stays can all lead to deaths being registered in unexpected areas.

The actual death certificate will not note place of burial.

Gwyn

Kirsteen

Kirsteen Report 18 Aug 2010 13:48

Thanks for the replies. Guess I've got a long road ahead!

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 19 Aug 2010 11:28

If you check the last census before they died and find where they were living and the following one to see if family members have moved, you could always contavct the local coucil and ask if they would check their cemetries. The one I've had to contact has been very helpful and checked for me for free.

Or if you are able to visit the local records office, if they have burial records for the local cemetries you could check those there. You obviously know roughly when they died so your search wouldn't take that long. You could then check the grave register which may give you a clue if it's your ancestor or not. I've used this method before buying the certificates and on a few occasions I've been able to rule out incorrect possibilities. It's also a greatt way of confirming that the certificate I was going to order is the right one.

Which area are you looking at.

Chris

Joy

Joy Report 19 Aug 2010 11:34

Depending upon the knowledge of the informant, the following in this site is what one would see:-

http://www.thosedixons.net/certificates/deaths.html