Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advise on Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 18 Aug 2010 19:45

I am a new user of ancestry.co.uk I have signed up for the standard membership. The first few serches worked great but after that I keep getting told I need a Worldwide membership. The website keeps changing from co.uk to .com

Can anyone suggest a way around this?

Julie

Julie Report 18 Aug 2010 19:59

I have just gone back and tried a search that I did a hour a go to see it it would allow me to view the image again but it brought up the message about upgrading again. I don't understand why. What's the point of paying for a subscription you can't use?

Julie

Julie Report 18 Aug 2010 20:07

Alfred Ernest Mason
Birth: Dec 1886 - Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear

Julie

Julie Report 18 Aug 2010 20:23

Thank you Jonesey that is a great help. I'll call them if the problem reoccures I took DF's advise seems to be working now. Thanks DF.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 19 Aug 2010 02:07

Julie, I have had this happen many times in the past. I have Worldwide membership to Ancestry and log on to Ancestry.co.uk. with no problem. Every now and then it switches me to Ancestry.com ( which experts on here tell me should be no different - but it certainly is to me cos it won't let me view the same things). I have found that changing the web address to Ancestry.co.uk a few times, and it seems to "learn" that that is what I want, and it all goes back to being okay.

I have to say I have been signed up to Worldwide membership for about 5 years, so there is no reason I can see for it to keep asking me to upgrade. But it does.

Persevere.

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2010 21:25

Thanks Madmeg! I'll bare that in mind when I am searching.