Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Linking different branches of tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 18 Aug 2010 20:40

Could someone tell me how I link two branches of my tree. The situation I have is that I already have a relative on my tree but have now found she is linked by marraige to someone else I also already have on my tree. Do I have to show them twice or can I link them

Thanks

Ann

Renes

Renes Report 18 Aug 2010 21:29

Ann

I have exactly the same on my tree - I asked what was the correct procedure and was told to post the children on the male side and just denote the marriage on the female side
I had a sister in laws daughter marrying a brother - in - law - of my ggt grandparents

Irene

Ann

Ann Report 18 Aug 2010 21:50

Thanks Irene - Can i just check that I have this right. You put both partners on each side so i.e. 2 entries each but only the children on the males side

Renes

Renes Report 18 Aug 2010 22:07

Ann

Yes - I entered the details of the marriage against the woman and in notes wrote cross ref

Against the man - entered marriage and children - + cross ref in notes

It is logical really as the ancesters of each are already listed -

Irene

Ann

Ann Report 18 Aug 2010 22:12

Thanks

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Aug 2010 08:52

The GR Tree is rather basic and does not have the functionality to create multiple or alternative relationships.

Better is to manage your tree using a commercial program such as FTM 2010 which will allow you to create, remove or amend relationships in any manner you might ever wish to think of.