Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

People entered twice in same census year

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 18 Aug 2010 22:35

Can any kind soul please remind me how a person could be registered in two places in the same census. I am sure there was a thread on this subject at some time!

regards

Mike S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Aug 2010 22:51

well remember the thread but can't call it up !. Anyway it did happen if the person was away from home and both addresses filled them in.
For instance ,a grt grt etc gran was a monthly nurse and she is on the 1881 at two addresses ,her normal home address and at the house were she performing her nurse duties, Can only presume she was staying with the new mum but her daughter who she lived with thought she should put her in at the address too.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Aug 2010 22:56

Similarly...
A friend has a relative staying with their grandparents in Southampton in 1881, but child's own father has included her with his household back in the London area.

Gwyn

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Aug 2010 23:51

That rang a bell!
Southampton and London
Elizabeth A Renyard abt 1848 Southampton, Hampshire, England Granddaughter Southampton St Mary, Hampshire
and again
Elza Penyard Thomas,Elizabeth A abt 1848 Southampton Daughter Lambeth, Surrey

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 19 Aug 2010 01:48

I have a whole family who appear twice on the 1841! Two different enumerators, so I assume that they must have overlapped by mistake and both entered the details for this family. Makes you wonder though - why didn't the head of family tell the second guy that they'd already been done?!

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 19 Aug 2010 01:53

Yep, My Thomas Holland and wife are in two places at once - once at home with their children, and again with his dying brother. 50 miles apart in 1881. Not possible to have nipped back.

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Aug 2010 03:02

I've come across two instances. The first was on Ancestry, and the households were identical, including the h/h # and census ref. However, the images were slightly differently skewed. Looking at the image IDs, one was from the end of one roll, and the other from the start of the next, and each had been transcribed independently. There was a minor difference in pob for a partial family (complete on two images of first roll).

The other h/h was on an enumeration boundary, and they were listed twice, once at the front door, and once at the back door (judging by addresses).

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Aug 2010 06:18

I have a 'visitor' example in my tree. The addresses are about half a mile apart.

Name: Frances Thornley
Estimated birth year: abt 1815
Relation: Head
Where born: Newbold, Leicestershire, England

Registration district: Ashby De La Zouch

Household Members:
Name Age
Frances Thornley 46
Harriett Thornley 17
Daniel Thornley 15
Elizabeth Thornley 11
Robert Thornley 9

Name: Frances Thornley
Estimated birth year: abt 1816
Relation: Visitor
Where born: Staunton Harold, Leicestershire, England

Registration district: Ashby De La Zouch

Household Members:
Thomas Atkins 36
Jane Atkins 36
John Atkins 15
Thomas Atkins 10
Maria Atkins 6
Mery J Atkins 4
Charles Atkins 3
Hannah Atkins 1
Frances Thornley 45
Elizabeth Harris 16

Peter

Peter Report 19 Aug 2010 08:09

One of my great-grandmothers was censused twice: at home with the family and in the household of the family for whom she was in service (a quarter mile walk from her home). Perhaps the confusion here arose because she was "at home" on Sunday night but "in service" on the Monday morning?

Pam

Pam Report 19 Aug 2010 08:28

I found a Mersey Ferry Boat Captain both at home and at work.
Meant extra information about where he worked and what boat.

Michael

Michael Report 19 Aug 2010 10:45

Many thanks friends. I found an entry for a child at his parents address and at his grandfathers. I guess his parents included him as "normally resident at that address" and grandfather just included him because he was there!
This info gave me confirmation of the lads father, a great bit of luck!

Thanks again

Mike

Potty

Potty Report 19 Aug 2010 11:49

You will quite often find Royal Navy seaman recorded twice in the census, under their vessel and at home. The vessell image will have "not" before "on board" at the top of the page. It would appear that all the personnel for a ship were recorded whether or not they were on board on the census day.

Last week I found one seaman recorded three times! He was listed under one vessel as "lent" to another; he was on the second vessel on a "not" on board sheet and he was also listed at home!

By the way, did you know that if you click on the District at the top of the image, and then scroll down the list that comes up under Enumeration District and click on "View description of enumeration" against the ship's name, it brings up an image of the other side of the sheet, which gives more info about the ship and also where it was on the census night.