Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reference numbers for Wills.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 20 Aug 2010 15:47

I have found a Will listed on Ancestry.co.uk, can someone please tell me where I should look to find the reference numbers needed to be able to order a copy of the Will. The person died in 1930, Probate London.

Thanks.

Val.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Aug 2010 15:59

You can send off for the will by just giving the name of the deceased, date of death, where the probate was granted and the name of the person the probate was granted to. This should be all they need to find the will.

I have just sent off for three wills from the York Probate Office this way.

This web page gives the addresses of probate offices (you can send off to any of them for a copy of the will):-

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/probateoffices.htm

Kath. x

Valerie

Valerie Report 20 Aug 2010 16:04

Thanks Kath. I appreciate your help. Just one question, is it not more expensive if I don't have the references.

Val.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Aug 2010 16:05

No. It will cost you £5 for each will. It was certificates that used to cost more without reference numbers (although that is not now the case).

Kath. x

Valerie

Valerie Report 20 Aug 2010 16:09

Thanks so much for that information. I am pleased about the certificates as well, as I live in South Africa and the exchange rate is is not in my favour.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Val.