Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need a computer expert to get rid of this Trojan p

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 21 Aug 2010 19:08

It keeps coming up in system32\userinit.exe

first I had-

trojan horse dropper.Generic2.AMPW

now I am getting

Generic10.LYM

Have tried all spyware I can think of but 'resident shield' still keeps showing it there every time we log on

Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Thanks
Kim

Going to put this on other boards, but check all for any replies
Hope that's ok

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Aug 2010 20:44

You say you have done spyware checks but have you run an antivirus scan on your Internet Securty system

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Aug 2010 20:46

DON'T put it on other boards, as this in in contravention of the site's terms of use. You can only post a particular topic on one thread.

Have you tried Googling? This is the first thing you should do if you think you have a problem like this.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Aug 2010 20:47

Try this, for example

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091204034903AAkRN7X

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 21 Aug 2010 20:55

First of all I would download and run Ccleaner which will clear all your history and any rubbish that has bulit up over the years.

1. On the opening screen click on "Run Cleaner" in the bottom right hand corner and as the first run can take from a minute to an hour depending on how much there is to clean out so just let it run.

2. When that's done cleaning, click on Registry and click on "Scan for issues" which will clean up your registry.
Once run click on "fix selected issues" which will ask.......
Do you want to back up changes to the registry?...click "YES" then "SAVE" then "FIX ALL SELECTED ISSUES" and that's it all clean and tidy......

It's available from www.filehippo.com below which is a lovely site full of free software.

CCleaner 2.34.1200

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Once that has finished cleaning download and run Malwarebytes again from filehippo.
Update it as you should when running any antispyware/malware and then run the scan.
This could take quite a while, but is good at sniffing out baddies.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

That should tidy things up and may even speed up your computer.

Another one offering help is security essentials from Microsoft itself and while it's free, it does a good job.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Aug 2010 21:14

It would seem that the trojan gets into your system restore data and that normal removal programs will not touch it. You have to first switch off System Restore, before you can remove it.

Try this

right click on my computer>properties

then system restore tab and turn off system restore,
click on apply then yes and finally on OK

Now you can run your spyware / malware scans and, hopefully they will delete the trojan files in restore folder

Finally switch system restore back on.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 21 Aug 2010 22:23

Thank you Frank I have printed off your instructions and will try them in the morning.

And I have also printed off yours IGP, and yes I have googled but there does not seem to be a fix for Generic2.AMPW , that was why I was asking for help!

I clearly stated I had put this up on other boards as not everyone reads all the boards and I have been pulling my hair out with this.

Thanks to everyone who has responeded

Kim

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Aug 2010 09:11

I heard from Kim, but it seems that none of our suggestions have helped.

At the moment I can only suggest she continues to google the internet for a possible solution, unless someone out there has first hand experience of removing this little nasty.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 22 Aug 2010 13:14

Hi Kim,

Not being funny, merely checking as last night @ 22.23 you were going to do this in the morning and had no luck by 09.00.
Have you completed all of the following in that time as I normally I leave mine running overnight in order to do all these scans.

1.Downloaded and installed the following........

CCleaner 2.34.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Microsoft Security Essentials
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

2.Switched off System Restore as per IGP's instructions.

3.Ran CCleaner 2.34 as per instructions.

4. Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 full scan

5. Ran Microsoft Security Essentials full scan.

6. Switched System Restore back on.

The above actions showed.......

No problems or
Problems, but could not fix or
Problems which it did fix or
How many problems were shown that could not be fixed.
Did anything mention your trojans.

If you still have the problems and no other advice is forthcoming, you may well have to bite the bullet and reinstall your complete system.
That may sound drastic but I had a trojan problem a few years ago and did an online scan and was advised that it could be removed at a cost of £41.00..........I just reinstalled :))

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 22 Aug 2010 19:42

Frank

I so so want to thank you

Have been downloading and scanning since 11am this morning

Last scan came up with no infections found

I feel exhausted now

But I am going to reboot one last time to make sure

Kim

Yeyyyy rebooted and this time nothing came up

Thank you so much

Kim

Peter

Peter Report 22 Aug 2010 21:16

Kim,

Whilst I can sympathise with your euphoria at having cleaned your machine. That was only the beginning. You must now identify how the damn thing got in in the first place and put some defences in place to prevent a future infection.

This is very definitely a situation where prevention is better than the cure.

You now need to prevent!!!!

regards,
Peter

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 22 Aug 2010 22:45

Peter

Have sent you a PM

Kim

tricia

tricia Report 23 Aug 2010 11:25

n