Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Monmouthshire is in England!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 22 Aug 2010 19:08

I've just discovered that the LDS (Family search) site lists Monmouthshire as being in England.

Lucky I've no Monmouthshire rellies, but some of you might have.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 22 Aug 2010 23:26

Monmouthshire WAS in England. The border was the Breconshire side of Abergavenny where my father came from. Though there are some sites that class it as Wales eg Rootschat as most of it is now Gwent

for anyone reading this who has Mon relatives a useful site can be

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~monfamilies/monprts.htm

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Aug 2010 23:50

Historic county
Main article: Monmouthshire (historic)
The historic county of Monmouthshire was formed from the Welsh Marches by the Laws in Wales Act 1535. It bordered Gloucestershire to the east, Herefordshire to the northeast, Brecknockshire to the north, and Glamorgan to the west. Between the 16th and 20th centuries there was some ambiguity as to whether the county was part of Wales or England, but since 1974 the area has been placed definitively in Wales. The eastern and southern boundaries of the historic county and the current principal area are the same, along the River Wye and Severn estuary; however, the western two-fifths of the historic county are now administered by the other unitary authorities of Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen, Caerphilly and Newport. The administrative county of Monmouthshire, and associated lieutenancy were abolished in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972. The area largely became part of the new local government and ceremonial

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Aug 2010 23:51

still confused I must say - if it's classed as West Midlands how can it possibly be in Wales!!!!

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 22 Aug 2010 23:56

By it's position on the border between England & Wales!

I've Monmouthshire rellies, ie born before 1974, and they still argue over whether they're English or Welsh.

Ozi

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Aug 2010 23:57

What is classed as West Midlands exactly?? Nowhere near.
Jan

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2010 02:37

I've gone quite potty - mixed up Hereford and Monmouth!!!

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 23 Aug 2010 13:28

thanks for the detailed definition AoGG. I will bookmark this in case any of mine argue, though the last of them born in the area was definitely before 1974 - unless you count Raglan? My grandfather, born in Abergavenny, always insisted he was English, his reason was not exactly flattering to the Welsh!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2010 14:40

was in Abergavenny last Saturday - just love the place and it is definitely Welsh - the name is Welsh - Aber - "mouth of" - "Venny" the River Venny

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 23 Aug 2010 15:55

I used to love going down to Abergavenny to visit my grandparents. It was like another world from Blackpool, as they lived opposite the park by the cattle market. All that countryside and the hunt outside the Angel at Christmas. Magic to a small child. My family were mainly innkeepers and carpenters. I was also fascinated by the cottages by the bridge at Llanfoist where my great aunts had a sweet shop. Don't actually remember seeing the R Venny - just the Usk where dad taught us to play 'ducks & drakes'!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2010 16:51

my friend and I go there at least once a month - we much prefer it to the glitzy shopping centre here in Cardiff - all the shops there are so individual, only a few of the major high street stores - we know all the shop assistants and vice versa and we always get great bargains there