Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

online parish clerks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 22 Aug 2010 21:00

I've seen postings with regard to the job of being an Online Parish clerk.
I am the OPC for Hazelbury Bryan in Dorset and get a great deal of pleasure in finding a record which solves somebodies problem.

At the same time, I'm building up a stack of records and as many of our ancestors tended to stay in the same village and marry, it builds up a picture and the same surnames keep cropping up and the contacts that I've made are a vast source of information.

I travel from Hampshire to Dorset to get the information and transcribe for my village and anything interesting that I see for other villages.

There are many villages to be covered and volunteers are always wanted.

If you are in a position to transcribe any information, size doesn't matter.
I often transcribe a years records of say burials and they are always appreciated by the OPC Co-ordinator.

It is a worthwhile job and any help is always appreciated, so if you can do anything, please get in contact
Thanks

Joy

Joy Report 22 Aug 2010 21:28

My OH is an OPC for some Cornish parishes, he started with some from where his ancestors originated. He buys the fiches, takes them to the library, transcribes them onto the computer at home, and then enjoys doing look ups for enquirers; because he knows the area, he is able to link families together and give added information to people.

Christine

Christine Report 23 Aug 2010 20:52

Do you need to be close to the area you are transcribing, or have personal knowledge of it? Is it practical for a non-driver who can't necessarily visit the area? How much time would you need to devote to it?

Sorry for the string of questions - this was something I had vaguely considered doing, but only have time erratically.