Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Religion - How can I find out about my ancestor?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 22 Aug 2010 21:19

My ancestor became a clergyman of some sort. We don't know what happened to him, except that he went away to be educated in his vocation. He lived in Staffordshire at the time. Does anyone know how I could find out anything about him?

Much appreciate any help or advice.

Regards, Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 22 Aug 2010 21:27

Hi Jonsey,

He was born in 1903 so I would presume around 1920.

Regards, Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 22 Aug 2010 21:39

Hi Jonsey,

I havne't looked for a marriage as it just never occured to me, as the impression the family gave was that he was a bachelor, but thinking now, that's when they knew him! For some reason I have a year of death as 1970, but this info was from the earlier days when I first started and didn't take note of where I got the info from and as my aunt has now passed away I don't know how I got that date!!!!! frustration setting in now!

Thanks Lou

Joy

Joy Report 22 Aug 2010 21:53

Could be worth looking here - http://www.crockford.org.uk/

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 22 Aug 2010 22:04

Hi Joy(AKA Maid Marion & Joy Kentish Maid)

Many thanks for the tip, will give it a look.

Thanks again, Lou

Joy

Joy Report 22 Aug 2010 22:09

You're welcome :-)

PS I nearly called you Barbara because there used to be another Looby Loo whose name was really Barbara :-)

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 22 Aug 2010 22:16

Hi Joy(AKA Maid Marion & Joy Kentish Maid)

I wouldn't have minded. My fav Aunt was a Barbara.

Just taking a look at the site now, it looks as if I have to subscribe so will do that tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tip.

regards and good luck to you.

Lou (or Barbara) eh! eh!

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 23 Aug 2010 01:13

Back in 1920 most clerics would have gone to Oxford or Cambridge, so it might be worth contacting them - they have both been helpful to me in the past.

The Crockford people are helpful too.

Janet

Janet Report 23 Aug 2010 13:29

Hi Looby Loo- I know it won't help you with the information you require, but for anyone researching clergy in the Church of England there is a site if you google Clergy of the Church of England Database. I got a complete c.v.( don't know the official word) for a Curate back in the 1750's which helped me no end. I understand that the information being imputed, is on- going, so it might help someone else with information. -JLe

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Aug 2010 21:08

Hi Madmeg,

Thanks very much for the info. All I know was what my elderly aunt said about him going to somesort of religous school. So your info will be a great starting point.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Regards, Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Aug 2010 21:20

Hi Janet,

Many many thanks for the tip. I've had a look and it doens't look as if it's usefull with this particular ancestor as it doens't cover the years I'm interested in, but it is usefull for another relative:

Janet, I've taken a look for my other ancestor and it's brilliant site, thanks so much. He became the Bishop of Sodor (Isle of Man) so there's loads to find.

Thanks again, this should keep me busy for awhile.
Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards, Lou