Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspapers 1939

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Haribo

Haribo Report 23 Aug 2010 18:52

Can anyone please tell me what would be the best way to research a newspaper article relating to an accident in London. Many Thanks.

Haribo

Haribo Report 23 Aug 2010 19:21

Thanks for that Jonesey, very helpful.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 23 Aug 2010 21:00

You might find it reported in The Times - depending on the type of accident etc. You should be able to access that through your local library online. If you can't then come back and ask as I know that several of us can access it online.

Jill

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 23 Aug 2010 23:13

Check out this thread
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1232629

Through your county library's online services you can get access to the British Library 19th Century Newspaper Collection (from some county libraries e.g. Lancashire mentioned in the thread linked above). Most libraries give you access to the Times Digital Archive Online all the way up to 1985. Derbyshire, I think, gets you the Guardian and The Observer collection. And most of them have a local newspaper focused collection too.

HTH,
Mark.

Joanne

Joanne Report 24 Aug 2010 08:35

Sorry to hijack a thread;

I am too looking for an accident which resulted in a death of a young lady Eileen Monaghan aged 24 in 1954 when a lorry slipped on ice and killed her. This was in Gateshead - I have looked but cannot find anything.
I am a member of the Lancashire library so I can view online but so far I have not been successful.
Heres hoping someone can head me in the right direction.
J x

Joanne

Joanne Report 24 Aug 2010 09:12

Thanks Jonesey.

The worst thing is I live in Newcastle and used to work in Gateshead so am a member - lol.
Jx

Just rang and they are closed until next Tuesday??