Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with the 1861 Census please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 23 Aug 2010 19:20

Afew months ago I printed a copy of a page in the 1861 census from GR. There is one name on it which I can not read on my print out, but when I return to search for the same family on the same census on both GR and on FMP, they are not there. You can imagine that by now I would be very worried about my sanity if I did not have hard copy proof that they were on the census earlier this year.

The family concerned is John Sugden b.1808 and his wife Susannah b.1809, living with3 of their children at Paxton Park, Lewisham. John and Susannah were both born in Calverly, Yorkshire, and he was a Builder.

Can anyone find them please? I would be especially pleased if they turn up on GR census records.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Aug 2010 19:25

1861 from Ancestry

Name: John Sugden
Estimated birth year: abt 1808
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Susannah
Where born: Calverley, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Lewisham
Ecclesiastical parish: Sydenham St Bartholomew
County/Island: Kent

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage: View image

Registration district: Lewisham
Sub-registration district: Sydenham
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 159
Household Members: Name Age
John Sugden 53
Susannah Sugden 52
Herbert W Sugden 73 - actually 13 on image
Emily S Sugden 11
Arthur W Sugden 8

Class: RG9; Piece: 416; Folio: 21; Page: 34; GSU roll: 542633

Neil

Neil Report 23 Aug 2010 19:39

Thanks GB for your quick response. It was Herbert that I couldn't read. Can you be certain about Herbert's age being 13 on the image as they had a son who would be 13 but John's father would also have been about 73 at that time. If it is the son then I will search for Herbert's death.

Still don't understand why this entry no longer shows on either GR or FMP.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Aug 2010 19:46

I agree with GB, the age for Herbert W. definitely says 13 and definitely says son, scholar.

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Aug 2010 20:45

On FMP you can search for the census ref GB posted - they're definitely there (but they're called Sayden)

Neil

Neil Report 23 Aug 2010 21:05

Thanks MM and mgnv. I can not find my old FMP print so maybe I didn't do one. Certainly can't verify what their entry was earlier this year, but the GR entry remains a mystery.