Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kellys/Monaghans from Ireland Query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 24 Aug 2010 11:32

I am loads of Irish ancestors and need to read the posts to find out more about how to find further information.

But I have found a number of Kellys and the same for Monaghans which I haven't yet idenified as being related with the head of each family being identified as Irish;
Is this just a coincidence or would there be a strong chance of being a relative of sorts?

Jx
PS I'm off to read the Irish information before anyone shouts at me ;-0

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 24 Aug 2010 13:16

Joanne...
Not sure exactly what it is your trying to identify...
Add some names dates etc to you thread and we can take it from there...
To determine any connection between Kelly's and Monaghans would require starting with what you have already and working backwards sidewards and everywhich way...great fun but not for the faint hearted...

Joanne

Joanne Report 24 Aug 2010 14:28

Sorry, I meant that I have two different families (not trying to link them together) which have a known head from Ireland. There are a number of other families in the area with the same surname ie Kelly which also have the head of the family identified as Irish; I am not currently aware of any connections between Kelly family one and two.
What I was trying to work out was the likliehood of them being a unknown relative.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 24 Aug 2010 15:30

Joanne...The same applies...usually when you find 1 and others are in the eg.same street then the possibility/probablity of family connection is there...sometimes it helps to look for a Christian name down the line of children that appears in the other families...not the "common" ones.
Where are you looking for the Family's...?

Joanne

Joanne Report 24 Aug 2010 17:15

In Gateshead, unfortunately the forenames all seem to be very normal; Andrew, Henry, Sarah Ann, Jane.

They seem to centre around Charles Street, Grahamsley Street where I have known relatives.

Thanks
Jo

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 24 Aug 2010 18:56

Joanne...Have more than one got the Andrew in...?
What time frame are you looking at ?

Joanne

Joanne Report 24 Aug 2010 19:15

The main name is Henry Kelly and the start from 1831 right up until 1921.

Likewise for Henry Monaghan, things get more complicated in the 1920's when a Monaghan brother and sister married a Kelly brother and sister.

No wonder this tree has me demented.
Thanks
Jo

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 24 Aug 2010 19:30

Joanne...The 1920's onward shouldn't pose a problem...!!! Its when the same Surnames marry ....thats a problem...!!

Joanne

Joanne Report 25 Aug 2010 08:40

LOL - I have only had one of those, but it did cause some confusion for a while.

Karen

Karen Report 27 Oct 2010 01:10

Hi joane,
i am looking for a Henry Kelly b 1833 married to a Isabella orr cammock in 1859 in Co Down,Ireland.

they had samuel b 1860 Dundee
adam b 1866 annon,dumfries
francis b 1869 annon,
mary ann b 1871 middlebie,dumfries
isabella orr b1875 cardross,dunbarton,all in scotland

i have the girls living with parents in the 1911 living at Dufferin Ave ,Bangor, Co Down, Ireland
any help on any of these names would be great.
thanks
karen.