Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Some advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 24 Aug 2010 20:03

By an amazing coincidence I was working on a rellie last night and found that he had entered his details on his tree on GR just five nights ago. I would imagine he is a new member but, firstly, what membership numbers are new? and, secondly, should I contact him? He isn't a close rellie - a second cousin once removed. Would you think it would be a bit of a shock to him?

Penny

Penny Report 24 Aug 2010 20:07

its why we sign up, isn't it?

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 24 Aug 2010 20:22

Well, of course you should contact him. I've contacted loads of people, got a great deal of fun out of it, a lot of information, and been able to give a lot of information in return. I've gained about 30 rellies through here with whom I'm in regular contact now, they're on the Christmas Card list (groan!), and have visited some of them, and they me.

Good luck.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 25 Aug 2010 08:43

Don't know about membership numbers, but as for contacting the chap - go ahead without delay!!

I would be delighted if someone contacted me, even if they were a 5th cousin 3 x removed - there's always some snippet of family info to share!!!

I contacted someone once, completely on a hunch. I had no idea if they were related or not. Looked up his address, wrote to him in Canada and it turns out the chap is a second cousin once removed AND interested enough in contact that we've swapped info and photos for a few years now - AND he put me in touch with another second cousin once removed, who in turn put me in touch with another second cousin. So, you see, I got 3 new LIVING rellies, plus tons of info about dead ones on a side of the family I never knew I had!!!!

It is ALWAYS worth a try.

K

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Aug 2010 08:47

Go for it. I am in now touch with numerous 2nd cousins in Canada, and got loads of photos and old letters from them. We plan a big get-together there next summer. We even found my husband's half-sister just by me sending a general query!! What's the worst that can happen?
Jan

Beverley

Beverley Report 25 Aug 2010 08:59

Hi all

Thanks for your answers. I was being a bit over-cautious last night because the last rellie who contacted me got a bit stroppy that I had information on him but, of course, you are all right and I have tried to contact him so await a reply.

I'm still wondering about the membership numbers if anyone knows though.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Aug 2010 10:49

As a rule of thumb, the higher the number, the more recent the membership

Eg, yours is 1236947
Mine is 239347
A 'Friend' who joined about 18months - 2years ago has 9860384

So you registered after me, and the 3rd party after you.

Hope that helps.

Beverley

Beverley Report 25 Aug 2010 11:29

Thanks Det - that answers my question.

Beverley

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 Aug 2010 11:51

I must be doing something wrong.
I make Beverley's number;
http://www.genesreunited.co.za/messages.page/new?ck=37621<<<<
There is a member with the number 11400000

Beverley

Beverley Report 25 Aug 2010 12:15

I thought that too SatNav but assumed it was me doing something wrong. However, the person I was talking about in the original post has a membership number of 11million something so he is obviously a new member from what you say.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Aug 2010 12:34

No- it was me doing something wrong! The 1236947 is the page number. Must have been having a brain storm. Sorry about that.

But at least we've been able to explain the general principal!!