Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Whitenancy

Whitenancy Report 25 Aug 2010 08:45

Is there any way of find more recent birth etc say in last 60 years. i must have more recent relatives but with no family to ask i am reliant on tracing them the hard way.

I know that there is a full index of BMD on ancestry but is there anyway of searching using just a surname and mother maiden name for reference

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Aug 2010 08:48

Are you saying you are on Ancestry yourself? You can access records up to 2005 using surname and mother's name.
Jan

Whitenancy

Whitenancy Report 25 Aug 2010 08:51

i have just got Ancestry been away from this for several years and lots of things have changed

Joanne

Joanne Report 25 Aug 2010 09:07

Freebmd allows this search, though I am not quite sure waht timescales.

For some reason I have found relatives that Ancestry didn't flag.

J
x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Aug 2010 09:11

Just in case you aren't sure, when you get the drop-down menu fron the search option, click on birth, marriage and death. On the right are various options. Good luck!
Do be aware that Ancestry can be a bit funny sometimes and I have had occasions when it will not show births when I specify "exact" for the mother's surname. If you don't click "exact" it will still put any matches at the top of the list however, so not a major problem. But see how you get on.
Jan

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 25 Aug 2010 21:25

Hello Whitenancy, we communicated on something ages ago, me living near to White Nancy and having rellies from Bollington. Nice to see you back.

I've sometimes found when searching on mmn, it works better if you switch to "old search" which you can pick at the top right of the screen (get your glasses on!). It does seem a bit erratic.

Good luck.

Whitenancy

Whitenancy Report 25 Aug 2010 21:34

hi meg
yes i remember. i have done quite well so far today i have found out that aunt minnie did remarry and i have just messaged her great grandchildren on facebook