Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IE8

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Aug 2010 15:45

Since downloading IE8 from BT Yahoo I have had nothing but problems. It take ages to load a program, then the computer freezes and all I get is the eggtimer and can't do anything. It took about 15 minutes to access GR to add a post. If there are any computer whizz kids out there, do you think I should download another browser or has anyone else had this problem. Any help would be appreciated. If I don't reply straight away, it will be because my computer won't let me. As I type this it is jumping about.!!!

Thanks,
Barbara

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Aug 2010 19:53

Thanks Somerset Girl, I have been told by my son and next door neighbour about mozilla and will download it and see if it solves my problems.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Aug 2010 20:04

BT said they were withdrawing the old BT YahooBrowser as it was falling to bits.

Had nothing but trouble since I downloaded IE8. Also found it very slow to start let alone get on to websites. Been a right pain in the ****

The jumping about, only on GR, I dealt with by clicking on Tools and then on Compatibility View. Trouble is that it quite often decided to reset it self !!!!

Maureen

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Aug 2010 20:55

Glitter Baby, I also found the jumping about only on GR. Have you now got another browser?

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Aug 2010 21:07

Jonesey, you seem to be well informed having read lots of you mail, now I don't know whether to get Mozilla or Google Chrome, will have to decide.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Aug 2010 06:29

Whilst I use Firefox most of the time I also have IE8 installed as a back-up and for the odd program that is more suited to it.

I have just tested my IE8 now and GR loaded up in about 4 seconds, pretty much the same as it takes with Firefox.

If it isn't working properly then it is likely that your installation is faulty and it might be worth doing a re-install. Incidentally you must have Explorer installed, even if you don't use it as a browser as it has software code which is used by other windows programs, so don't try and remove it.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 26 Aug 2010 11:00

I do the same as inspectorGreenPen, that is run Firefox and keep IE as a back up; as he says sometimes the odd program prefers it.
I do find Firefox loads faster as a rule and I don’t get the freezing and “unable to connect” that I used to get quite often with IE.
Good luck
Mayfield.

Barbara

Barbara Report 26 Aug 2010 11:24

InspectorGreenPen and Mayfield. If I download firefox, do you still recommend uninstalling IE and reinstalling it as if I am not going to use it as a browser, it doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks, Barbara

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 26 Aug 2010 15:24

Hi Barbara,

I would feel inclined to leave IE alone if you are not too keen on altering it, from what you say it does work at a push and you only want it as a back up.

I would just load your Firefox then see how you get on with the new browser. If you want to you can always replace your IE at a later date when you have Firefox up and running. As InspectorGreenPen says it is a part of windows so I certainly would not just remove it.

Do you have windows updates set to advise or load when they are due?
Most people will have had a "browser choice" icon placed on thier desktop during an update earlier in the year. Microsoft was compelled to do so in order to give people a choice of an alternative to the pre-installed IE. Just clicking on it will give you several browser options including Firefox.

Best wishes,
Mayfield

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Aug 2010 09:10

You can't uninstall it, as I said earlier, some of the software code is used by other Windows programs. I think you can revert to an earlier version but this is not always sucessful either.

Personally I would try downloading it again from the Microsoft Site,

http://extras.uk.msn.com/internet-explorer-8

This should correct any problems there may be with your installation and also install any updates that you might not have.

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 27 Aug 2010 09:30

I use IE8 on GR without any problems although I do not have a particlarly high Broadband speed. The symptoms you describe do suggest something wnet wrong with the instalation. If this is the case, you are also likely to experience problems on other sites. Logic dictates that IE8 does work OK or everyone would soon abandon it.

I would certainly try reinstalling it again as InspectorGreenPen suggests. One tip ove you have tried that is to click the compatibility button on the top line next to the URL when you are on a GR page especially when trying to write a message.

Michael

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Aug 2010 09:47

I have just run a re-install from the above site and it took around 15 minutes. Updates are installed as part of the process.

After re-booting when you open IE 8 again for the first time you are given the option to set defaults, which includes a compatibility option.I opted for that and then tried GR which came up in a few seconds. A quick browse around and it looks absolutely fine. The only thing I had to do was make a minor tweak to the page size.

Scrolling it not quite a smooth as Firefox, though, otherwise not that much discernible difference.

Barbara

Barbara Report 28 Aug 2010 15:44

InspectorGreenPen and Mayfield, thank you so much for all your help and advice. I have now re-installed IE8 from your link and it seems to be working o.k. now. I have also downloaded Firefox this afternoon and am finding it a lot better. I am now trying to get used to it and am now adding all my bookmarks again. Thanks once again for your help, and as usual GR came to the rescue!!!

Barbara