Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's this document all about?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 25 Aug 2010 23:51

My ancestor Thomas Wilmshurst owned The Bull Inn at Cranbrook and after he died in 1818 his wife Ann continued tro run it. I've come across this document in an archive but I can't figure out what it's all about. Could somebody please explain to me in simple terms what sort of transaction was taking place? Here is the transcription:

Cranbrook Oct 3rd 1814

We have this day separately seen and inspected the Household Furniture Stock in Trade farming Effects and Goods and Chattels and manure Crops and Tillage in the House and lands in the Occupation of Mr Thos. Wilmshurst of the Bull Inn in Cranbrook agreeable to an Inventory by us Taken and hereunto to be annexed and we do adjudge the same to be of the Value of Six Hunderd and Eighty four pounds Eleven Shillings and Six pence Witness our hands this day and date above written.

£684.11.6

John Mott
J Simmons

Memorandum
I have this day Received the Joint Note of bond of Ann Wilmshurst, Willm. Tooth and John Butler for the amount of the above Appraisement
Oct 3 1814
Thos. Wilmshurst

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Aug 2010 00:04

sounds very much like a valuation with a view to selling it or maybe raising a loan on it? or perhaps the other two people were going into partnership with Ann

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Aug 2010 10:11

The word annexed merely means attached i.e. the inventory was on a separate sheet of paper.
I think Ann of Green Gables is on the right track. The date is 4 years before Thomas died, and it sounds as though the three of them are acting as guarantors for him.
Do you know if Tooth and Butler are relations?

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 26 Aug 2010 12:47

Tooth was the local hatmaker - wealthy by all accounts - and Butler must have been related to Thomas's son in law of the same surname.