Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leviathan Convict Hulk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 26 Aug 2010 23:06

Is there a way I can find out why someone was in prison and for how long?

I have an ancestor named Christopher Prince (b1800ish in Wanstrow, Somerset) who spent some time in Ilchester gaol (there is a record for him 29/03/1839). I have a reference of Q/AG1 15/4

In the 1841 census he is not with his wife Rachael and children, who remain in Wanstrow. There is, however, a Chrisr Prince on Leviathan Convict Hulk and I think it is likely it is the same person, although his age is about 4 years out.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Peter Report 26 Aug 2010 23:37

Helen,

Have you tried contemporary newspapers?

Peter

Netty

Netty Report 27 Aug 2010 00:22

Are these of any help to you

Name: Christopher Prince
Estimated birth year: abt 1794
Date of Trial: 25 Mar 1839
Trial Year: 1839
Location of Trial: Somerset, England
Sentence: Transportation 7 years.
Crime: Larceny before convicted of felony.

Date of Trial: Epiphany 1831
Trial Year: 1831
Sentence: Imprisonment 1 month.
Crime: Larceney

Date of Trial: Lent 1817
Trial Year: 1817
Sentence: Acquittal
Crime: Burglary

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 27 Aug 2010 03:39

From http://www.communigate.co.uk/twc/princefamily/page1.phtml

CHRISTOPHER PRINCE b: 17 February 1796 in WANSTROW d: 2 April 1873 in WANSTROW
.......... .+RACHAEL COX b: 1793 in WANSTROW m: 3 July 1815 in WANSTROW d: 30 June 1888 in D WITHAM BUR WANSTROW

I would say his age was spot on in 1841.
1841: Christ Prince abt 1796 Portsea Town, Hampshire - Leviathan Convict Hulk, and notice he's not born in county.

sailorbaz

sailorbaz Report 27 Aug 2010 04:52

Hi Helen,
I've looked for him on all the convicts to Australia sites but haven't found him. That doesn't mean he wasn't transported - just not in the lists as there are lots of gaps.
Convicts often stayed on the hulks in the Thames or at Portsmouth until a place could be found on a ship - sometimes up to three years! Conditions were very bad and many died.
Have a look at:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/res-06.html
The Leviathan was in Portsmouth harbour and was broken up in 1843, so he was either moved to another hulk or transported.
I have someone in my tree who died on a hulk in the Thames before he could be transported.
HTH
Barry

Helen

Helen Report 27 Aug 2010 13:18

Thanks all for being so helpful.
Netty - As I am trying to learn as I go along it would be useful to know how you got that information (not that I am expecting to find loads more convicts in my family's past!).

I know that he remained in England and survived many years longer. Is there a way of finding out when he was released and why?
Helen

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Aug 2010 13:30

As it happens I spent a day, 2 weeks ago, at Kew looking at the Leviathan Convict Hulk records.

My 3xGGrandfather was sentanced to transportation for 7 years in 1839 and was sent to the Leviathan. He was never transported and was pardoned from the hulk in 1843. I think it was probably about the time the hulk was to be broken up and they were freeing some prisoners so they didn't have to be transfered elsewhere.

The books were completed quarterly March, June, September and December. The prisoner was allocated a prison number so it was easy to find my man in each book.

The headings are
Prison Number.
Name
Convicted Where
Convicted When
Sentence
Married or Single
Read or Write
Trade
Goalers Report
How Disposed Off

Over the period the details for my man remained the same except for the Goalers report which identified two misdemeanors he commited onboard and his general behaviour.

The first entry for your man would help identify him if you are willing to send for it, but you would need the series of entries to see if anything interesting happened during his time onboard. You will also need the final entry to see the reason for and date of release

The 'How disposed off' column gave his pardon and date but others gave date of death, transportation, transfer ect.

Chris

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Aug 2010 13:44

OMG

I have an entry for Christopher on at least one of the pages I photographed...

Hold on and I will post the details.
Chris

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Aug 2010 13:53

Christopher Prince
Stealing Wheat
Wells
25 March 1839
Healthy
Very Good
Pardoned 11 Jan? 1843

If you want a copy please pm me your e.mail address

Chris

Helen

Helen Report 27 Aug 2010 17:05

I'm in a state of (pleasant) shock
Thank you so much.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 27 Aug 2010 23:04

Wow! Helen, isn't that wonderful news? Talk about serendipity, well done Chris.

Ozi

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Aug 2010 23:30

Ozibird

Spooky........Doesn't seem to cover it!!!!

I have always thought that our ancestors are 'up there' deciding when we should find the info we need to further our research....One of mine 'appeared' in similar circumstances!

Obviously Helen's were watching me at Kew and nudged her to put the request on the board knowing I would be around to pick it up and would 'go the extra mile' to check my photos lol :-)

Chris

Netty

Netty Report 28 Aug 2010 21:30

Hi Helen, sorry for the delay, the information posted was from Ancestry,
England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892