Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stillbirths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 27 Aug 2010 19:44

Does anyone know if stillbirths were recorded in the late 1880's? I think there may have been some in the family, but can't find them in the Birth and Death Indexes.

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 27 Aug 2010 20:00

I believe that stillbirths are registered in a seperate register. I also believe that you can only access these if you are a direct relation. Unsure when these started.

Lynne

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Aug 2010 20:02

Sorry, no. Stillborn children were not registered prior to 1927.

Guy

Guy Report 27 Aug 2010 22:30

The best way to find stillbirths prior to 1927 is to check burial registers.
Many vicars recorded the burials of stillbirths in the burial register even as far back as the 17th century.
Cheers
Guy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Aug 2010 23:30

As Guy says, your best chance of finding any record is from burial records.

The still birth register (from 1927) can only be accessed by the parents of the stillborn child. If both parents are deceased then a sibling of the child can have access, but the register is closed to the general public.

Kath. x

Guy

Guy Report 28 Aug 2010 06:49

Not quite correct Kath. ;)

The details from the stillbirth register will be supplied on request to parents, and if they are deceased, siblings of the stillbirth.

However the general public may request details from the stillbirth register. Such requests are processed by the Registrar General who will make the decision to supply or refuse on the merits of the individual case.
Cheers
Guy

Barbara

Barbara Report 29 Aug 2010 14:20

Thanks one and all,

Explains why I haven't been able to find any details! On to the burial registers now, with fingers crossed.

Barbara