Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry birth search using a mother's maiden name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 31 Aug 2010 15:15

Am I right in thinking you could once search for a birth on Ancestry and also put in the mother's maiden name to narrow down the search.

Or am I mistaken?

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 31 Aug 2010 15:38

Thanks Jonesey, Am I blind or what, I'll have to put id down to another senior moment!!!

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Aug 2010 15:50

I think you might have to be doing an old style search.
There's an old/new switch that appears at top right just under the main Ancestry menu bar - you might even have to do a rubbish search, say for the birth of John Smith, to get the switch to show up. You might also have to specify the database you're searching in, e.g.,

England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
(the latter only gets hits with mum's MS from 1911q3-1915q4)

My preference is to always do old style searches with the exact matches box checked in a specific database, and use the link above the table of hits:
All Birth, Marriage & Death, including Parish Results
to switch to another database in this category, or the menu bar search item to switch categories, but each to their own.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Aug 2010 15:51

only works after 1911 though when the mmn was added to the GRO ref

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 31 Aug 2010 16:07

Thanks folks.
BS