Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ESTABLISHING UNKNOWN CHILDREN AFTER 1911

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TRACEY

TRACEY Report 1 Sep 2010 21:24

Hi There,
Can anyone offer advise as to how to establish if a couple had children if they they were (possibly) born after the 1911 census. There are several I want to investigate where I have both (potential) parents names.
I'm not sure I'm expalining myself well so I'll give an example if I may:

My gt gt uncle Rupert George Goodwin bn India 1886 I believe married Amy Blomer bn c1883 Smethwick, Staffs. This was oct/nov/dec 1910. He then went to war in 1914 and died 1918. There's no mention of children in the 1911 census but I would love to know if they had children after 1911 but before 1914.

Can anyone offer advise as to how I proceed with such lines of enquiry?

Thanks
Tracey

Barbara

Barbara Report 1 Sep 2010 21:29

On freebmd you have the option of using the fathers surname and the mothers and then put in 1911 and leave blank the end date or put in a date where you think childbearing may have ended - then have a look at what areas the births were.

Barbara

Barbara Report 1 Sep 2010 21:31

found one:-

Births Jun 1912 (>99%)
Goodwin Female Blomer Birmingham 6d 216

TRACEY

TRACEY Report 1 Sep 2010 21:31

Thats great Barbara, I'll give it a go.
Thanks very much
Tracey

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Sep 2010 21:38

Nora Goodwin Jan Feb Mar 1917 W Bromwich Staffordshire
death
(Female) Goodwin abt 1912 1912 Birmingham (1837-1924) Warwickshire

Janette

Janette Report 1 Sep 2010 21:41

Found another:

Births Mar 1917 (>99%)

Goodwin Nora Blomer W. Bromwich 6b 1301

TRACEY

TRACEY Report 1 Sep 2010 21:42

thanks both,
i'll check these out.
It would be lovely if they were his children.
I've also learnt something new I can try out on some other couples I wan't sure about
thanks again
Tracey

mgnv

mgnv Report 2 Sep 2010 02:38

The census was 2/4/1911. One had 6 w to rego a birth. The GRO index didn't list the mum's MS until 1911q3. So there's no easy way of sorting out who 90% of the 1911q2 births belong to. The other 10% will be rego's in the first few weeks of 1911q2, and refer to kids on the 1911 census.

Well, that's as far as the GRO indices go, but they're not the only indices online. Some local RDs have their indices online too - see:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=local

These don't help with your stated problem, but they do contain info that's not in the GRO indices - e.g.:

West Midlands Marriage indexes for the years: 1910
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
GOODWIN Rupert G BLOMER Amy Smethwick, Holy Trinity Sandwell Register Office 1/6/303

West Midlands Birth indexes for the years: 1883
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference
BLOMER Amy Harborne Sandwell Register Office HAR/61/259

The GRO index for the latter is:
Births Mar 1883 (>99%)
BLOMER Amy King's Norton 6c 530

The local index says where the rego is now, and doesn't refer to the old RD of King's Norton. Each sub-rego district had its own rego's which were sent to the district superintendent when they got full, so the local index has to identify the subdistrict.

Some local b.indices do give the mum's MS pre-1911q3.
E.g. Staffs are now retro fitting this to some of their indices:

http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/
Updates: 09 August 2010 Births: Replaced Burslem registers 1 to 34, registers at Stoke-On-Trent (1837-1861) to add mother's maiden name

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Sep 2010 03:58

He's on Ancestry under De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour.

Born 15th April 1886 died 1st Dec 1918 of influenza. He married Amy 20th Nov. 1910. She was the daughter of William and Martha Blomer. No mention of children.

Rose

TRACEY

TRACEY Report 2 Sep 2010 21:45

a big thanks too all!
I've made some real progress tonight thanks to the advice and info. I started my tree in July and dived in head first now I feel as though I'm starting to be a bit less hurried and a bit more methodical.
cheers!
Tracey