Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage/Banns marriages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 1 Sep 2010 22:35

Can anyone enlighten me on how I can find the siblings and parents of my ancestor John Arnold 1801 born London.
He married Mary Ann Oliver in1826 by banns, therefore I can't find out his fathers name.
Thank you.

Peter

Peter Report 1 Sep 2010 22:54

Linda,

You may be able to narrow the likely pob from censuses. you will then have to trawl the relevant parish registers. If you are very lucky you may find that your ancestor remarried.

Peter

Linda

Linda Report 1 Sep 2010 23:01

I have trawled the censuses but by 1841 he was married with his own children, no parents living with them.

He doesn't have a middle name showing on the banns record, his birth registration or on any of the christenings of his children.

He was born in Bishopsgate, London. Mary Ann Oliver was also born Bishopsgate/Shoreditch.

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 1 Sep 2010 23:20

On Family search pilot there are 2 birth/christenings for 1 Mary Ann Oliver in Shoreditch london and 1 Mary Oliver Shoreditch london. The first one looks a good match.
Mary Ann Oliver
Born 16th August 1802
Christening 6th September 1802 St Leonards, shoreditch, London
Parents John Richard Oliver and Catherine

Linda

Linda Report 1 Sep 2010 23:22

That is the right one (1st), but it is the Arnold line I'm following.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Sep 2010 23:27

actually, it wasn't the fact that they were married by Banns which means that you don't have the fathers' names

But the fact that fathers names were not put on the register at that time

If you look at the image, there is actually no space for the father's name to appear!

sylvia

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 1 Sep 2010 23:28

Will add the second one

Mary Oliver
born 1st February 1800
christening 13th March 1800, St Leonards, Shoreditch, London
Parents Nathaniel Oliver and Elizabeth

There is a couple of other but they are very unlikely as 1 is Sarah Mary Ann Olive and the other is Ann Oliver.

There is another 1 I will add for reference just in case that she is another relative of yours.

Mary Oliver
Born 1777
St Leonard, Shoreditch Middlesex
Burial 23rd December 1849 st Leonard Shoreditch Middlesex

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 1 Sep 2010 23:33

There is a Burial for john Arnold

birth 1801
3rd February 1833, Shoreditch, Middlesex, London

Nothing in Bishopsgate

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Sep 2010 23:35

Who were the witnesses of the marriage of John and Mary?.. Any clues there?

Did John and Mary have many children? Sometimes these might be named after grandparents.
eg. A first son after paternal grandfather,
or / and a 2nd daughter named after paternal grandmother.

This is only an idea for clues to follow as sometimes parents paid no attention to earlier naming patterns.

Gwyn

Linda

Linda Report 1 Sep 2010 23:38

The burial is not my John Arnold, mine fathered children up until 1843

Linda

Linda Report 1 Sep 2010 23:43

Don't know who the witnesses are as they were married by banns where there aren't witnesses listed or parents names listed.

As far as his children being named after grandparents, the first is John 1826 the others even if they are named after grandparents how do I make sure I have the right ones.

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 1 Sep 2010 23:52

Looking at a couple of baptism's I have found what could be twins baptised on same day parents are Lucy and John Arnold. Children are

Name: John Crook Arnold and Rob Postlewaite?? Arnold
Baptism Date: 1802
Parent 1: John Arnold
Parent 2: LucyArnold
Parish: St. Pancras
County: Middlesex

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 1 Sep 2010 23:55

I looked at the original document of the marriage and it does say in the precence of, and 2 people's names, I can't make it out though.

1 looks like Ann Hood/Head

Linda

Linda Report 2 Sep 2010 00:16

I don't think the twins are my family although it would make sense to drop the name Crook!!

The area of St Pancras is close by but the whole family definately came from Bishopsgate, Shoreditch, Whitechapel etc. all East End of London.

I'll take another look at the marriage document to see if I can make out the names of witnesses. I didn't think there were any? Thanks.

Linda

Linda Report 2 Sep 2010 00:24

Have checked the document the witnesses are : Ann Hood and J Knight, these don't mean anything at the moment but I'll check the censuses see if I can find anything there or who they were married to with any luck it'll be an Arnold!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Sep 2010 01:02

according to the image of the Marriage

John Arnold and Mary Ann Oliver were married in the Presence of

J Knight and Ann Hood

which doesn't help too much because J Knight appears on 4 out of the 8 marriages showing (on the 2 pages

so he was apparently a "professional witness", receiving a small amount of money for it.

On the other hand ........ Ann Hood does not appear on any other marriages

sylvia