Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WWI infomation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 2 Sep 2010 20:27

hi i wonderif any one could help.were do i start to find any information on grandads medal he did not die in the war.i am sure there must be more than one and some sort of record his name was william johnson drv 36296 rfa.thanks.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 2 Sep 2010 20:42

Name: William Johnson
Regiment or Corps: Royal Field Artillery
Regimental Number: 36296

He was awarded the Victory, British and the Star medals. Known colloquialy as Pip, Sqeak and Wilfred.

His medal index card is on Ancestry.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Sep 2010 20:42

Possible Medal Card on Ancestry

Name: William Johnson
Regiment or Corps: Royal Field Artillery
Regimental Number: 36296

But you make no mention of which Regiment

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 2 Sep 2010 20:42

have you searched on ancestry for service of your William Johnson?....Over a 1,000 names come up when you put William Johnson in the search. Some have residence address, birth place next to name.

Nicola

James

James Report 2 Sep 2010 20:52

sorry still very new to this he lived at 7 wilson st sunderland i am not a member on ancestry he was in the royal field artillery thanks

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 2 Sep 2010 20:57

Because of his name, regiment and service number matching I am fairly certain that the medal index card is his. Unfortunately medal index cards do not show a great deal of information. The only other information showing is the fact that he served in France and qualified for the Star medal by serving in 1915.

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 2 Sep 2010 20:59

Do you know what his birth year is?

James

James Report 2 Sep 2010 21:01

thanks for that is there some were i can get a copy of is service record

James

James Report 2 Sep 2010 21:03

yes 1894 thanks

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 2 Sep 2010 21:08

Approximately 70% of WW1 service records were destroyed by fire in 1941. Those that remain are on Ancestry. I have taken a quick look but regret that I cannot spot his records.

James

James Report 2 Sep 2010 21:15

i would like to thank you all for your help.

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 2 Sep 2010 21:28

Have looked to see if there is any service records with the information that you have given, I couldn't find any, sorry.

You could try the archives at kew (think that is how you spell it) they may have some army records.

Nicola

James

James Report 2 Sep 2010 21:33

i will give it a try.and thank you for trying

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 2 Sep 2010 21:50

There's no point trying at Kew. All surviving WW1 records for his rank are on Ancestry.

James

James Report 2 Sep 2010 22:07

thanks for that.