Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Duplicate marriages in the 1700's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 3 Sep 2010 10:20

Has anyone else come across two marriages registered in two parishes for the same couple. I have recently found some and wondered what was the reason for this.
An example Jane Clarkson 1720 on familysearch shows a marriage at Mirfield and a marriage at Kirkheaton. I have found that they have been entered in the transcription booklets for both churches so its not a fault as such of familysearch.-JLe

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Sep 2010 10:35

A similar question came up on here recently. It was suggested that it was probably to do with the recording of the Banns. The problem with the IGI is that you can not be absolutely sure what the source of the info was,

Janet

Janet Report 3 Sep 2010 10:50

Thanks for the imput-J

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Sep 2010 10:51

when the bride and groom live in different parishes then the banns have to be put up in both parishes ,this is so any objections can be made from both sides It usual to marry in the brides local church, Many people got around this by giving the same address when they put the banns up. In order to be in a parish you had to have 6 weeks residence.

Janet

Janet Report 3 Sep 2010 11:01

Hi Shirley
Thanks again for imput and I understand the background but I still would think a couple could only be' man and wife' once. These couples have been entered from the parish records as having been married at both churches. May be the fault/misunderstanding of the person doing the transcriptions from the parish records. I only used familysearch for the example as I have got the information from the f.h.s. transcriptions.-J

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Sep 2010 11:43

Hi Janet
as you say they could only marry once so sounds like a misunderstanding of the records by someone.

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Sep 2010 12:32

Buried amongst all the old threads.
An American who married in Madrid London and New York all within a few weeks.
There are couples who marry as C of E and RC.
I think it is done to satisfy the familys.
There are many couples today who renew their vows.
I suppose only the first marriage is recognised in law.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 3 Sep 2010 12:41

Actually there was nothng to stop a couple marrying twice in different Churches.

If you have a listen to the NA podcast 'Scandals in the family' Audrey Collins tells the story of one family scandal and includes a couple married twice.

In this case the couple married in London in secret and the Groom's family insisted on a further ceremony in his home parish! This was the early 1800s.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/podcasts/

Chrs

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Sep 2010 12:47

There have been many threads about members of the Armed forces who marry without the COs consent and have to marry again in order to obtain married quarters etc.

Janet

Janet Report 3 Sep 2010 16:54

Thanks Chris and SatNav-j

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Sep 2010 01:45

Here's my transcription:

Source: OPR Rathen (Aberdeenshire)
1794 Aug 24
M Wm Scott here, & Eliz'th Rainy in Lonmay procl'o pro p'mo 2ndo & 3tio

expanded - [William Scott here, & Elizabeth Rainy in Lonmay proclamo pro primo secundo & tertio [This is a guess]]
translated - [William Scott here, & Elizabeth Rainy in Lonmay proclaimed for the first, second, and third time]

The only indication that anything more than the reading of banns happened is the marginal M indicating they were married.

Another ABD marriage by banns:
Results for: Robert Slessor, Aberdeen, Scotland, British Isles
Spouse: Jane Arthur
Exact Spelling: Off

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 2
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. ROBERT SLESSOR - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 14 DEC 1850 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

2. ROBERT SLESSOR - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 19 DEC 1850 Ellon, Aberdeen, Scotland

[Both are OPR extracts]

Sukie

Sukie Report 4 Sep 2010 10:17

The Family Search material is excellent for telling you that a record (probably) exists somewhere, but it is hopeless as a transcription of what the record says. They don't give any indication of the original wording, or distinguish between the information actually supplied and what they have inferred for the purposes of creating the index (the ages of the bride and groom, for instance, are usually assumed to be 21, but usually weren't). You will need to seek out a copy of the actual parish record in both parishes and find out which one (if either) is actually a record of the marriage. As a rule of thumb if the two records have different dates, the later one is usually when (and where) the marriage took place. However, quite a lot of records of the calling of banns don't mention the marriage at all, which usually means that it was a Non-conformist ceremony but might of course mean that the couple never got married at all!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Sep 2010 10:51

I have it on good info that MY parents married in two different locations,(mixed religions)
c 1934,
although the marriage in The RC church is the one on the certificate.....

Bob