Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF ground crew.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 3 Sep 2010 20:57

How can i find my Dads RAF ww2 records he was a corporal no 926845 and a clark . I have looked at kew web site no luck. Paul.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Sep 2010 21:03

service records raf
Service records of RAF Officers that served prior to 1922 and Airmen that served prior to 1924 are held at the National Archive. ...

www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html - 16k - Similar pages

Service records of RAF Officers that served prior to 1922 and Airmen that served prior to 1924 are held at the National Archive.

Service records for Officers and Airmen that served after these dates are retained by the Royal Air Force. RAF service records are retained by Service Number, Rank and Full Name, and will also contain the Date of Birth. It is important that as much of this information as possible is provided to assist in locating the correct record.

Enquiries about RAF held records should be made as follows:
From Current/Former RAF Personnel.
A Subject Access Request (SAR) form needs to be completed and sent to:

RAF DPA SAR Section
Room 220
Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford
LINCS
NG34 8HB

Paul

Paul Report 3 Sep 2010 21:10

Thanks Ann my head in a spin trying to find any thing about him . I am his son so how do i get the info ???.

Paul

Paul Report 3 Sep 2010 21:53

Thanks Joan ill dive it a go .

LakesLass

LakesLass Report 4 Sep 2010 21:25

Hi paul
Just to add a note. My dad was also RAF ground crew during WW2. we knew very little as he and Mum didn't meet until 1949. Thnakfully dad was a horder and we have loads of travel warrants, passes, and some photos which kick started the interest of my son.
Sorry.... to get back to basics... we wrote for his service record as we knew he wouldn't fly and was also in hospital in Inverness and wanted to find out as much as we could. i wrote to those concerend and enclosed a letter from my mum authorising them to let me have the info. It came fairly quickly but this was about 8 years ago now. Fascinating reading and I am soon to try and compile a full history of Dads time in the RAF.

GinaS

GinaS Report 4 Sep 2010 21:59

How much will the cost be to get the records?

Will they give records to Step children?

Many thanks

GinaS

GinaS Report 4 Sep 2010 22:23

Thanks Joan

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 5 Sep 2010 14:32

I thought all "full" children were treated equally when it came to obtaining service records -i.e. it doesn't need to be the oldest child who applies.

Denis

Denis Report 5 Sep 2010 17:44

How are they going to know who was the oldest child? All you have to do is prove he was your father. They won't check. I know plenty of cases where common sense has prevailed.