Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 service records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 5 Sep 2010 11:20

Does anyone know if the records on ancestry are the only ones that are available? I've searched for my grandad on there and can't find a match. I have however found one on the medal cards that could match but there isn't enough info on that to confirm if it is him or not. Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Sep 2010 11:28

I'm not 100% sure but I think that all the WW1 records that survived are on Ancestry. Most were destroyed in a fire (I think).

Kath. x

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 5 Sep 2010 11:31

Thanks both, I was thinking of paying a researcher to find him, but not much point if his records have gone

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Sep 2010 12:00

Linda,

Just a thought. Check the WW1 pensions records on Ancestry. The other day whilst trying to help someone no records for their ancestor showed up amongst the surviving WW1 service records but all the mans service records were shown in his WW1 pensions record.

Good luck

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 5 Sep 2010 12:05

oooh thanks for that, worth a try

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 5 Sep 2010 14:30

If he was an Officer his records won't be on Ancestry but will be at Kew (if they have survived)