Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

free Newspaper records on Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 5 Sep 2010 15:29

Ancestry have added a new free database of Newpaper announcements between 1790 and 1970.

Taken mainly from the London Gazette they include BMD announcements from all over the World...but what is good is the way Ancestry have listed the search results

They include father and mothers name for birth announcements, bride and grooms fathers name for marriages etc....making it much easier to find your own ancestors.

I`ve found some marriages and births for some of the "twigs" on my tree.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1897

Nicky

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Sep 2010 16:02

That's a good piece of info Nicky, well spotted.
Yet another thing for Londoners though, same old same old.
Jan

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Sep 2010 16:57

The London Gazette is so-called because it is published in London. It covers the whole of England and Wales (The Edinburgh Gazette does the same for Scotland) and has a free searchable website at www.london-gazette.co.uk
I was not aware that it published BMDs though, except perhaps royalty, but it covers senior political and Armed Forces appointments (hence "gazetting"), bankruptcies, the Honours List and various other things.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 5 Sep 2010 18:30

Its not just London records, they`re from all over Jan..

I seemed to find some of mine that took place around 1920s-1940s...didn`t find anything earlier, though there are some there.

Some of the BMD`s also give the corresponding GRO reference number as well.

nicky

sprucespringclean

sprucespringclean Report 5 Sep 2010 20:11

Hi Nicky i cant get on what am i doing wrong please it just keeps telling me, if i have got there from another web page to contact them. Regards Spruce

kim

kim Report 5 Sep 2010 21:20

I've used the London Gazette website & found bankrupt relatives! They definately cover the Kent area. Try london-gazette.co.uk

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 5 Sep 2010 23:22

Hi Spruce.. or should i call you The Boss???

have you copied and pasted my link?

I tried it and it works for me.

nicky

sprucespringclean

sprucespringclean Report 6 Sep 2010 17:18

Hi Nicky
Took some doing but got there in the end thanks again.

Spruce

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 6 Sep 2010 17:26

Thanks Nicky

Will have to take a look and see what I can find!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Sep 2010 18:32

nudge