Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free BMD - check again

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 7 Sep 2010 21:59

At a recent family funeral I met a relative who was involved in the initial transcription of GRO records to Free BMD online. He told me that Free BMD have now acquired more sophisticated scanning equipment so that many of the hand-written GRO records can be more clearly read. As a result Free BMD are working through their previously submitted transcriptions and amending them daily. A lot of mistranscriptions have been discovered (by a lot, I think he estimated about 2% So not a lot really, but if it is your rellie that has been mistranscribed you don't give a monkeys about the others). So if you can't find your relative at the moment, check again, and again, over the coming months, and they might appear.

Meg

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 7 Sep 2010 23:20

Good tip Meg, thanks for pointing this out.
Jan

Gai

Gai Report 7 Sep 2010 23:47

Madmeg, thanks for the tip, .

Gai

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 8 Sep 2010 02:15

Many thanks Meg that is useful to know.

Linda

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 8 Sep 2010 12:04

Thanks Meg.
I will certainly go back and look again now for a couple of registrations I've never been able to find.

K

Christine in Yorkshire

Christine in Yorkshire Report 8 Sep 2010 18:31

Thank you - will certainly have another go at finding 'the lost ones' ! :)

c

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 9 Sep 2010 21:59

n