Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Diseases

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norma

Norma Report 8 Sep 2010 20:06

Hi
I have just received a infants death certificate who died aged 3 weeks of what looks like " Marasmus" does anybody have an idea what that possibly be.I have never heard of it
Thanks in anticipation!!!
norma

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Sep 2010 20:12

It is all over Google.

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Sep 2010 20:13

Marasmus - Failure, Thrive, Child, Emotional, Protein, and Wasting
Marasmus is a form of emaciation and wasting in an infant due to protein-energy ... Severe prolonged marasmus may result in permanent retardation. ...
social.jrank.org/pages/378/Marasmus.html - Cached - Similar

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Sep 2010 20:21

this is a good site to put in your favourites

www.antiquusmorbus.com

Norma

Norma Report 8 Sep 2010 20:22

Thanks for that Satnav.
Poor child didn't have a chance.
As you can guess my forebears didn't come from Aristocracy!!!
Norma

Norma

Norma Report 8 Sep 2010 20:24

Thanks for that site shirley just about to put that in my favourites

Norma

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 8 Sep 2010 22:10

Another name for Inanition.

It could be down to what is referred to now as "failure to thrive" though with most of our ancestors it was just a nice term for good old fashioned malnutrition/starvation.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Sep 2010 22:37

Marasmus: progressive emaciation caused by malnutrition in young children.

http://www.thornber.net/medicine/html/medgloss.html

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Sep 2010 08:08

There are some babies who have glucose intolerance therefore they fail to thrive and ultimately die.
A former work colleague, some 30 years ago,lost a baby at 8 months who stopped gaining weight then started losing it and then the poor mite passed away.They discovered afterwards the baby was glucose intolerant

wellybobs

wellybobs Report 9 Sep 2010 20:00

Hi Norma,
we too had a death cert of an infant of 5 months( whose mother had died one month earlier) with the diagnosis as Marasmus, we googled this and got the details of "failure to thrive", in todays terms it would probably be associated with neglect or abuse but in days gone by was linked to poverty and the death of the mother whilst the child was young and there was no alternative substitute.
We found this to be extremely sad and it makes you thankful for the health care we have today.
M

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 9 Sep 2010 22:58

Goodness Gracious Ann, the Thornber link you gave is an old friend of mine, Craig. I still have the Pyrosil dish he gave me as a wedding present 38 years ago!