Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probate records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 10 Sep 2010 11:12

This is something new for me, so if someone could help me with it, I would be grateful. I have found a listing on ancestry probate indexs for my gt grandmother. It states that probate is registered at Birmingham. For reference: Sarah Jane Robinson died 6/7/1938 Wolverhampton. She left money to her son-in-law Ernest Peate. I know Sarah had a sweet shop in W'ton but cannot find any info on it. I wondered if it would be worth getting a copy of the will, but it is something I have never done before

Can someone tell me how I go about getting a copy of the will and how much they cost please?

Thank you
Dee

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 10 Sep 2010 11:43

This site gives instructions about how and where to apply for a copy of a will or order of probate proven between 1858 and the present.

www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

The cost is £5 including postage.

Joy

Joy Report 10 Sep 2010 11:44

Jonesey posted a very useful thread on how to obtain wills.

PS I meant to add it to my bookmarks and give it a nudge but can't find it now :(

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 10 Sep 2010 11:50

Thank you both , I will take a look

Joy

Joy Report 10 Sep 2010 11:50

Thank you - advance search hadn't worked, yet again.
Bookmarked it now :-)

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 10 Sep 2010 19:44

Thank you for all the info. I've contacted the registry and have sent off for a copy of the will.
Regards
Dee

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 20 Sep 2010 14:31

Update: The copy of the will arrived Friday 17th, so it took 1 week from posting. Not bad, I thought.

Dee

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 20 Sep 2010 18:46

remember that the person shown in the probate index is the person to whom probate was granted (usually an executor of the estate) and not necessarily the person to whom the estate was left, the will will tell you exactly how the estate was left