Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AN ADDRESS IN 1936? (SCOTLAND)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Sep 2010 15:04

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out if an address
( 14 Cross Shore St, Greenock PA15 1DY, Scotland) was an unmarried mothers place in 1936 please?

I would really be grateful for any help.

Sandra

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Sep 2010 15:15

If it's the same as England/Wales someone would need to check out the electoral register for that year - either yourself or a member of staff where the records are kept.
I suggest you add Scotland to your heading.
Jan

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Sep 2010 15:20

Thanks Jan.

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Sep 2010 15:22

Sorry, I have to go and pick my mum up from hospital now but I will check in later (fingers crossed).

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 13 Sep 2010 16:26

If you look at that address on Google Maps-street view it looks like a bank but is a Bar called 'Red'

Jeannette

Jeannette Report 13 Sep 2010 17:20

Try contacting the local Library I think it's Watt Library,Greenock they may have electoral rolls or similar for that time.
Here's a link Street address: 9 Union Street, Greenock, Inverclyde PA16 8JH, Scotland, United Kingdom Telephone: 44 (0) 1475 715628

www.culturalprofiles.net/Scotland/Units/3633.html ยท
They have an extensive archive collection so I think they may be able to help.

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Sep 2010 21:14

RutlandBelle, thank you.

Jeannette, thank you I shall give it a go.

Thank you very much to all of you for your help, it's really kind of you all to take the time to help me.

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Sep 2010 21:25

My daughter contacted the watt library in 2009 and this was the reply -

Hi there

Further to your enquiry regarding the above address there is only one person listed and it is a Miss J Anderson, caretaker of bank. In the Post Office Directories it only gives the head of the household.

I hope this is of use to you.

Regards

Sandra Wilson

Library Assistant

Inverclyde Council

I guess it was just a tenement building, back to square one.

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Sep 2010 22:05

I don't suppose anyone can tell me how I can find any info on this Miss J Anderson please?

Needle and Haystack spring to mind.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Sep 2010 22:08

Sandra, what made you think it was home for unmarried mothers in the first place?
jan

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Sep 2010 22:13

Hi Jan,
my dads birth mother gave that address when she had my dad but her address was Lynedoch street, someone suggested it may be an unmarried mothers place or a place where women had babies and gave them up for adoption. Her husband was not named as my dads father.