Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Maps at Familysearch

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Renes

Renes Report 13 Sep 2010 21:36

I found England County Maps at http://maps.familysearch.org/#search

You can click on any county and zoom into to any parish and discover when the Parish Records and Bishops Transcripts begin from - for example

Records begin PR BT
Littlebredy 1717 1732
PR - For more records see Long Bredy

You can also opt to find all village/parishes with a chosen radius - Poor Law Union divisions etc

Really good

Irene

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Sep 2010 22:46

There are 1890s maps showing Scottish parishes on a county by county basis at:
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/gazetteer/

I'm not sure if these are the CoS parishes or the civil parishes, not that it matters much for the latter half of 19th century Scotland.

Renes

Renes Report 14 Sep 2010 10:05

nudging up for morning readers

Irene

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 14 Sep 2010 11:09

Irene, I shall have hours of fun with that. For anyone starting out and not having a good grasp of geography it would be invaluable.

jennifer

kay

kay Report 14 Sep 2010 13:27

Thanks Irene
Im about to have a look there..will help me enormously
Kay

Julia

Julia Report 14 Sep 2010 15:07

I must have me thick 'ead on today, as I cannot get this to work for me. I can get as far as the first page and enter the place name, then the little dots go around the globe (think it is a globe), and it just keep on going round.
Sorry, it's me again Irene.
Julia in Derbyshire

David ‡ Mills

David ‡ Mills Report 14 Sep 2010 15:31

Neat; with a very important 'but';
It shows the Parishes as they are today. If you want to know what parish to look in for an event 200 years ago it won't help you much.
Hint: if you want to know the places within the Parish; click on layers and change the base map to Google Street Map.

mgnv

mgnv Report 14 Sep 2010 19:23

David - I think you must have missed the last century and a half - it's 2010 today, not 1851 like the title on the page says.

Renes

Renes Report 14 Sep 2010 20:30

Julia

Sweetie perhaps you are seeing dots - Yes it is a globe - when they stop - on the left hand side it lists the county you type in to search - in blue underlined - clickable - click then a big box pops up - asking what do you want me to do

and gives various options

Give it another whirl

Irene

Renes

Renes Report 22 Sep 2010 20:59

nudge up

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 23 Sep 2010 22:04

thanks - added this to favourites - I like maps!

Renes

Renes Report 24 Mar 2011 15:59

Am nudging up again as I used it again last evening -- forgetting how good it really is

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 24 Mar 2011 20:06

Brilliant for identifying in which court a pre 1858 will may have been proved.

Chris