Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~ Jo ~

~ Jo ~ Report 21 Sep 2010 10:35

does anyone know if u can copy a family members tree on to your own? i have a family member who has found people in the tree that i havent, so was wondering if you can copy the tree instead of writing it out myself!

Julie

Julie Report 21 Sep 2010 10:39

I have no idea as it isn't something i have wanted to do, I would rather find & confirm things for myself before i add anything to my tree

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Sep 2010 11:43

Just playing around with mine and someone elses.

You have to open their tree, find the person(s) you want to add. On the left of the middle bar is a button 'copy', which copies it on to the 'clip board'. Then you go back to your tree, open a new parent/sibling. Go to 'clipboard' again, select the correct person, tick the blank squares in the middle of the arrows, then 'save'.

Personally, I'd agree with Julie about wanting to verify the details yourself, and your contact may like you to ask first! Don't copy 'living relatives' if they are on view, without their express permisson.

~ Jo ~

~ Jo ~ Report 21 Sep 2010 11:54

Thanks Julie and DET for the info back. I do know this person as he is my uncle and has allowed me to copy anything i want.