Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death at sea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 25 Sep 2010 01:55

An uncle died at sea- he was in the Merchant Marine- in the 1960's .Does anyine have any idea where I can check this type of information
Thanks Trishia

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 25 Sep 2010 02:39

If it was prior to 1965,I could have a look for you at FMPast:
GRO MARINE DEATHS INDICES (1903 to 1965)

Not too sure where else to look.

Maureen

Patricia

Patricia Report 26 Sep 2010 23:15

Thank you both for your replies. I think the death was between 1961-1965 so You've both given me ideas to work on.

Patricia

Patricia Report 27 Sep 2010 18:05

Maureen, just realised you offered to do the search. Thank you
Edgar James Lamb born 1918. Liverpool ENgland. ship possibly MV Batory He died in the Atlantic between 1960 and 1965 I believe.
I'm not sure what FMP is
Trishia

Laurence

Laurence Report 27 Sep 2010 21:47

Deaths on British registered ships are recorded on a RBD 1/72 form by the master. This consists of Name of Vessel, Official Number, Port of Registry and Name of Owners, with details of death etc.
This form is sent to
The Registrar of Shipping and Seamen.
LLantrisant Road
Cardiff CF5 2YS
The details are on record there, I do not have the phone number or e-mail adress.
I think they may have contracted out these records in recent years, not sure. But its worth contacting the above office as their details will be more comprehensive than the official death cert as the form consisted of four pages, assuming they furnish the full details.
Hope this helps

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 27 Sep 2010 21:55

Hi Trishia,
(FMP=Find My Past-subscription site).
Sorry, I didn't have any luck. Hope you're more successful following Laurence's advice!

Maureen

Cathy

Cathy Report 27 Sep 2010 23:57

There is this record in The National Archives which looks like it could be your Edgar born 26 May 1918 in Liverpool...

R187722 LAMB E J 26/05/1918 LIVERPOOL
Held by The National Archives, Kew

Former reference (Department) R187722

Kind regards,

Cathy

Patricia

Patricia Report 28 Sep 2010 04:18

Thank you all. I will try Laurence's address . Yes Cathy that sure looks like him. Are the National Archives available on the Internet. I have a sub to Anchestry.com and I dont think National Archves are availabe through them
Trishia

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2010 10:57

The National Archives are accessible by anyone at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

The web address for the record found is

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-3291285&j=1
(copy and paste it into a new browser window)

It looks as if you can order a hard copy via the links on the page.

edit - if you ever want to order an England or Welsh BMD cert, DO NOT order them through Ancestry as they charge an arm and a leg.

Order from the source at gro.gov.uk where each cert will cost £9.25. You may already be doing this, in which case, I apologise, but your post suggested that you usually used their links

Cathy

Cathy Report 28 Sep 2010 10:59

Hi Patricia,

The National Archives is not the easiest website in the world but you should be able to download the results immediately I think.
If you go to the home page and click in turn on
RECORDS
LOOKING FOR A PERSON
MERCHANT SEAMEN SERVING AFTER 1917
Then you scroll down to:
What records can I find at The National Archives at Kew?
Seamen's pouches (1941-1972)
There are then 2 boxes where you fill in Last name and Year of birth

It will come up with a list and his is the first one
Click on Ordering and viewing options
and then on Order printed or digital copies of this record

It will give you an estimate of what it will cost but I don't think it should cost too much.
I think it's better to get the online record as it can take a while for the posted materials to come.
I would assume it will have details of Edgar's death but I'm not sure Patricia?
Let me know how you get on please!

Kind regards,

Cathy

Patricia

Patricia Report 28 Sep 2010 23:49

Thank you all for the very helpful, practical and financial tips. I will let you know who I get on although it may take me a while