Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

whats in a name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joseph

Joseph Report 26 Sep 2010 18:43

Aunt Maggie from Dover,
Thats what she was called as far back as 1950 when i first met her,she was my grandmothers sister, but this was 60 years ago.so memories fade and at times get mixed up.but i did recall the name marklew as her last name,so after 3 years research what i know is
Alice Maggie Lewis born Ellesmere Shropshire 1889,parents Edward and Ellen Lewis,
marriage Alice Maggie Lewis to Henry Marlew place of marriage Wellington Shrophire 1913.she is24 he is32
1911 census Maggie Marklew Frank Marklew aged 22 and residence Yorkshire birthplace down as Shropshire and Staffordshire so far that i would say is correct but them down as married 2 years,yet i have a marrige certificate for 1913?? also census states one child had died..
1901 census Alice Maggie Lewis in Cannock Staffordshire.aged 11
i am waiting for 2 death certicates Alice Marklew died 1966
aged 76 and Henry Marklew 1940 aged 59 both dover
so now to find the chilldren of this relationship prior to the marriage and later,now this old memory of mine does remember and also met Betty from Dover daughter i believe, she had a false leg due to an accident in a tram in Dover i have tried to somehow find a list of injured people in 2 major accidents with trams,but no luck yet.
next i knew a peter??? grandson i expect,then Jack a huge man who worked on the liners,Alices son,Well a lot of research to be done yet for the inbetween bits the things i should have asked
AUNTIE MAGGIE FROM DOVER
OR THE FILM THERES SOMETHING ABOUT ALICE.
Thats all folks thanks for reading this and may be have a laugh and a few things to think about

Kinds regards to you all
ps i just love reading the boards something for everyone
Joe

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 26 Sep 2010 18:49

love it Joe, not sure what it is all about but still love it.

Jennifer

PS have you actually seen the film 'There's something about Alice' I wonder.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Sep 2010 18:55

According to a tree on Ancestry her parents were Edward Lewis & Ellen Holding but this tree doesn't have her spouse or children.

Joseph

Joseph Report 26 Sep 2010 18:56

lo yes thought i would add it on as it was rather apt, but for researching i thought there were a few lessons to be learnt from the story of our maggie and the trouble shes putting me through now but we love a mystery dont we,but answers well???
joe

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 26 Sep 2010 18:57

so this is the 1911 you are referring to

1911 census transcription details for: 50 Wesley St Moorthorpe South Elmsall S O Yorkshire

National Archive Reference:

RG14PN27526 RG78PN1575 RD506 SD1 ED15 SN122

Reg. District: Hemsworth Sub District: Hemsworth Eastern
Parish: South Kirkby Enum. District: 15

Address: 50 Wesley St Moorthorpe South Elmsall S O Yorkshire
County: Yorkshire (West riding)

Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation Where Born

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARKLEW, Henry Head Married M 30 1881 Coal Miner Hewer Hednesford Staffs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARKLEW, Maggie Wife Married
2 years F 22 1889 Hodnet Shropshire

WESTWOOD, Thomas Boarder Married M 53 1858 Coal Miner Hewer Gornal Staffs

WESTWOOD, Solomon Boarder Single M 25 1886 Coal Miner Hewer Hednesford Staffs

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 26 Sep 2010 19:04

what do you think about this death

Deaths Dec 1909 (>99%)

MARKLEW Kathleen Maggie 0 Wellington, Sh. 6a 466

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Sep 2010 19:05

What a pity Mrs Marklew isn't named here!

Name: MARKLEW, HENRY
Initials: H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead
Date of Death: 14/11/1940
Additional information: Husband of Mrs. Marklew, of 134 Folkestone Road. in Sick Bay, H.M.S. Lynx.
Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead
Reporting Authority: DOVER, MUNICIPAL BOROUGH

You could find her name in 1939 electoral lists though, probably.

Gwyn

Joseph

Joseph Report 26 Sep 2010 19:06

married 1913 wellington def
1911 census married 2 years one child died?
joe

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Sep 2010 19:07

RB

I wondered about that death, purely for name and location.

Gwyn

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 26 Sep 2010 19:10

If the 1911 above is right then her ?husband is Henry and not Frank.

Perhaps they didn't tie the knot till 1913, is the occupation the same as on the marriage cert?

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 26 Sep 2010 19:14

birts

Births Dec 1914 (>99%)

MARKLEW Nancy Lewis Cannock 6b 956

Births Dec 1918 (98%)

Marklew Peter Lewis Dover 2a 1648

Births Jun 1927 (>99%)

Marklew Frank Lewis Dover 2a 1830

Joseph

Joseph Report 26 Sep 2010 19:21

occupations of son and father follow the same path miners

regard joe

Joseph

Joseph Report 26 Sep 2010 19:25

sorry getting behind answering you all yes kathleen maggie could be a near one also i live very close to wellington

joe