Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM 2011?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 27 Sep 2010 16:54

I have an offer through to upgrade my FTM 2010 to 2011 for £19.99.
Should I do it? I get one month free basic Ancestry with it (having had to cancel mine because I couldn't afford it), so I am tempted.

Foggy

Foggy Report 27 Sep 2010 17:00

Hi Christine,
Had the same offer, was it from TW computing.?
I got the 2010 upgrade from them last year, great value.
I think it is good value and have ordered mine yesterday.

Christine

Christine Report 27 Sep 2010 17:07

Hello Foggy

Its from Avanquest software. Have just noticed it includes VAT and postage which helps! Maybe I will then ................

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Sep 2010 22:21

Must admit I am in two minds about it.

I am quite happy with 2010 after upgrading from 2006...A big jump and steep learning curve :-)

It seems to be offering some functions that I would like but others I cannot see I would ever use.

Maybe I will wait until 2012 and see what it has added then :-)

Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Sep 2010 05:27

Apparently the 2011 version contains some 100 amendments and new features, which include:-

New Narrative Tool
Ready to start an ancestor's story? The Smart Story Editor makes it easy by letting you drag-and-drop text and photos from your tree into a Smart Stories page. Stories update automatically when you change facts in your tree.

Charts
Fan Charts
Choose between five different shapes when creating a fan chart.

Photos & Embellishments
Enhance charts with the backgrounds, borders and embellishments that come with Family Tree Maker, and use photos wherever you like. Font size, type and color can be changed based on fact types.

Bow Tie Chart
Siblings can be included in the Bow Tie Chart.

Last Generation Shown Vertically In descendant and hourglass charts, the last generation in the chart can be displayed vertically.

Pedigree Chart
The book layout for the pedigree chart has been adjusted to make better use of space.

Reports
Surname Report
The new Surname Report lists the surnames in your tree, including the total number of individuals with that surname, the number of males and females with that surname, etc.

New Descendant Report
Family Tree Maker now gives you four descendant report options: Register, NGSQ, Henry, and d'Aboville.

Custom Report
The custom report now has user-selected primary and secondary sorts. In addition, new options allow you to include age at death, number of children, age at first marriage, and more.

Kinship Report
You can now sort the Kinship Report by relationship (for example, first cousins can be grouped together).

Bibliography
You can create a simple bibliography of source titles or an annotated bibliography that includes summary information, such as repository and reference notes.

Report Headers & Footers
You can define the headers and footers for a report.

Save Report Settings
You can save the current report settings and use them as the preferred settings for that report.

Photo Albums
You can now create an album for a person, relationship, or both.

Calendar
You can now choose to display death dates in the calendar.

Ancestry Integration
Expanded Web Dashboard
The expanded Web Dashboard now includes Member Connect activity, links to message boards, and notification of new Ancestry messages.

Enhanced Performance
You can choose the type of Internet connection you're using, which allows Family Tree Maker to tailor how it downloads information from the Web. Uploading and downloading speeds have been improved, and there is increased ability to upload large files to Ancestry.com.

General
Enhanced Index of Individuals
The Index now displays people based on name and then birth date.

Historical Timelines
Now you can edit, delete, and add to the historical events that come with Family Tree Maker. In addition, Family Tree Maker looks at facts entered for an individual and displays the most location-appropriate historical events.

Place Enhancements
You can now choose a home country, and Family Tree Maker will not display this country in fields, charts and reports. Support for townships, parishes, and counties has also been enhanced.

LDS Information
Family Tree Maker can now display information on initiatories and confirmations. These facts can also be included in charts.

Data Entry
Automatic Reference Numbers
Family Tree Maker can now assign reference numbers automatically to individuals, relationships, or both.

Duplicate Person Alert
When you enter new individuals, Family Tree Maker alerts you if it believes you may already have the individual in your tree.

Media
Locate Missing Files
If you've moved your media items and Family Tree Maker has marked them as missing, the Find Missing Media tool can locate them all at once.

Categories
You can now assign categories to multiple items at one time.

Media Metadata Stored in Family Tree Maker
If your images contain metadata, the information will be stored -- and a caption, date, or description, will be automatically entered.

Christine

Christine Report 28 Sep 2010 10:19

Now where did I put my credit card?

Thanks for all your help and advice - a goldmine as usual!

Foggy

Foggy Report 28 Sep 2010 17:09

Had a message from Ancestry today,
You can get the FTM2011 now at £19.99 from them before the official release date.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Sep 2010 17:35

Just be careful when comparing prices. Ancestry might add postage and possibly duty to their base price.

Historically TWR Computing have always been cheaper overall, but do check it all out first.

If you are prepared to wait for 6 months, then there will be cheaper options.

Maurice

Maurice Report 6 Oct 2010 17:10

I am also thinking of upgrading my FTM - as a "Silver Surfer" may I ask some basic questions?
My FTM is old (version 3.02 June 1996 Pub. Broderbund Software) - do you think the upgrade would work with this? Also it looks like the 2011 upgrade is the basic version , TWR computing also sell the Delux version - do you think this is worth the (little) extra, But this appears to be a complete program rather than an update do you think this would be easy to install without any danger of loss of my existing data, would I have to delete my existing FTM program? Any other thoughts much appreciated!
Many thanks
Maurice

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Oct 2010 17:39

It should be possible to upgrade automatically but I think you have to go to FTM2006 first then to FTM 2011. There is a free program available to enable you to do this. do this. Check with TWR, they will be able to advise. However you will be in for a bit of a learning curve as the latest version is an eon away from the one that you have, but once you get used, no looking back.....!

Don't be caught out by basic / deluxe. The FTM program you get is EXACTLY the same. The difference is in the bundled extras such as discounted Ancestry subscription, which may or may not be of use to you.

I don't know whether it is still the case but previously the deluxe versions also gave you various cd's of parish and other records, which for most people were a complete waste of money.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 6 Oct 2010 19:18

I have been offered FTM 2011 for £31.00 from Amazon !

They are busy trying to sell it !!

Maurice

Maurice Report 6 Oct 2010 20:06

Thanks for replies and for info IGP. I did not appreciate the difference between basic and deluxe. I have been in touch with TWR Computing - they say there is no problem in updating my old program - so will see if I can find the courage to go for it!
Again many thanks
Maurice