Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Census Record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 1 Oct 2010 10:47

I have found an entry in the 1891census for my relatin Susan Bygraves which shows her in a school in Rottingdean I need to see the previous pages to see details of the school but I dont know how to do that on genes reunited can anyone help p.s. I have tried to put details on other sites but cannot find thanks Linda

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2010 10:51

you cant on Genes you need to know a name on the prevoius sheet
will take a look on Ancestry for you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2010 10:59

seems to be Brighton Parochial school -edit incorrect!

Name: Susan Bygraves
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Relation: Scholar
Where born: Shoreditch, London, England

Civil parish: Rottingdean
Ecclesiastical parish: Chichester
Town: Rottingdean
County/Island: Sussex

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Lewes
Sub-registration district: Rottingdean
ED, institution, or vessel: Downlands
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age

EDit see later imput its Downlands !!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2010 11:08

Name: Susan Bygrave
Year of Registration: 1884
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Shoreditch
County: London, Middlesex
Volume: 1c
Page: 117

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2010 11:11

poss.
Name: Susan Bygrave
Estimated Birth Date: 3 Aug 1884
Father's Name: John Bygrave
Mother's Name: Mary Bygrave
County: Middlesex

St Andrew Hoxton

Hoxton is in Shoreditch

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Oct 2010 17:03

The enumerators sheet for this enumeration district describes the place as Downlands Convalescent Home, Rottingdean, Sussex.

Ancestry transcribes her as Rygraves

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Oct 2010 17:26

Linda - if I ask GR for a transcription, does it give me the census ref for Susan (the bit SG posted as RG number: RG12 Piece: 801 Folio: 80 Page: 2)

You can always read 3 of these #s off the image - the PRO copyright slip has RG12/801 on it, and the page # is printed on the page - it's really the folio # as this is only stamped on every other page.)

Anyway, once you have this, you can do a free look up by census ref of that page on Find My Past - it won't give you full details without a sub, but it will give the names.

Now you can adjust the page # by 1, and if that gets no hits, adjust the folio # by 1, too. That'll give another page full of names, and you can look one of them up on GR for the image.

PS - I would like to know if a GR transcription gives the census ref.

Linda

Linda Report 1 Oct 2010 20:22

thank you for the help you have given me you may well have gathered i am very new to this and have lots to learn so your kind imput is very much appreciated , I already subscribe to genes reunited and ancestry.co.uk and it seems that what you can obtain is quiet different is there any other site you can reccomend. many many thanks for your help both of you
regards LInda confused of Crackington

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2010 22:13

HI
Lots of the info I find is from Ancestry .sometimes it need a little outside the box thinking because of transcriptions errors or because our ancestors changed their minds on their ages and were they were born etc, It takes a bit of experience sometimes to find the info.
Just stick with it and ask if you get stuck

Linda

Linda Report 6 Oct 2010 20:31

Thanks Shirley I will certainley press on and will keep you in mind for further help and suggestions regards Linda confused of crackington (I dont see that changing any time soon)