Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Article on Method of Compiling GRO Index

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GenePool999

GenePool999 Report 1 Oct 2010 11:34

Some one has mentioned to me that there was a very informative article within the last few months about how the GRO indexes are / were compiled and 'verified'.

Can anyone give me information of which publication / website where this was please ?

Dennis

Dennis Report 1 Oct 2010 17:18

Hi, I don't know if this is any help, but I was browsing a magazine in Smith's, as you do, and noticed an article on how to use FreeBMD. This seemed give a lot of info about the indexes, a lot of which can be found on freebmd it'self. The magazine was the October issue of Family Tree.
best of luck
dennis

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 1 Oct 2010 18:56

see if your library has this :

A COMEDY OF ERRORS
The story of the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths in England and Wales in the 1800s, by Michael Whitfield Foster .

I bought it, it cost £7 and it is fascinating. If you google it and the author there is probably some of it on line