Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deleting mulitple hot matches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

huntingdonshire

huntingdonshire Report 2 Oct 2010 08:26

How do i go about deleteing multiple hot matches, im finding it aufully slow deleteing 1 at a time. It use to be good when you just ticked the box, now the box is gone. i have over 50 pages..... want it back to 10!!!!!is there a way to only get hot matches if you have 4 or more in common marg in australia

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Oct 2010 17:16

Have just sat here and deleted 4 pages of the same name...not one of them was from the village mine is from...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Oct 2010 13:25

When you delete a Hot Match you will be removing all matches with that member. It isn't possible to delete a couple of matches and then leave the rest. Once you have deleted a Hot Match it is not possible to see it again.

Re the suggestion to put the name on the first page - if you think about it, this could only work if there is one match - what if there are ten?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Oct 2010 13:26

Also, some members, me included WANT to see additional matches with existing contacts, as it is a prompt to re-visit their tree to see what else they have added.

Kense

Kense Report 4 Oct 2010 15:40

Don't you get the additional matches with existing contacts information from "My Updates" on the home page ?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Oct 2010 15:43

Good point, yes you can see that they have added to their tree through updates, that is provided you, or the other contact, haven't turned it off.

huntingdonshire

huntingdonshire Report 6 Oct 2010 23:01

well im down to 42 pages. personally i liked the old web site, this new one dosnt work for me. i cant get into my tree to add anything, and i cant veiw anothers tree anymore. What did the admin do? ive gone to windows 7 is this why nothing works? frustrated and annoyed.
PLEASE admin dont change things to make it harder to research and find. But i agree with up the top, there is room for more information on the hot matches page, if columns were mooved over, put place of birth in. im forever deleting a hot match isnt a hot match unless its the same with all information. i made 3 contacts out of 10 pages........aghhhh

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Oct 2010 06:07

If you can't view trees then your browser and or PC set-up is at fault It isn't the site otherwise everyone would have the same problem, which clearly isn't the case.

You could check:-
1. You have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player Installed
2. Pop-ups are enabled, at least for this site
3. Your browser Cache (Internet temp files) has been cleared out

Some members have also found that increasing the size of their internet cache will help prevent page / tree loading problems recurring.

Incidentally, as I mentioned earlier, how do you show multiple matches on the Hotmatch front page? The suggestion to show more info only works for a single name match, so is a non-starter where you have multiple matches. That is why there is a second page giving you the details of all the matches with that member so far, which includes the DOB and POB for each one.

The changes that are really needed to the HotMatch program at the moment, to make it easier to use, are:-

1. Ensure that you return to the same point on the front page having viewed / actioned the detail on the second page
2. Show if you had had a previous contact on the second page too. This would render the next / previous option more useful as currently you have to go back to the first page to check

The reason why POB isn't checked by the HotMatch program has been covered many times before, so I won't go into that again.

Poirot

Poirot Report 9 Oct 2010 21:41

I am glad I am not the only one finding Hot Matches labourious
How about Genes updating this part of the site - they used to have a box and delete button by each contact and at the end of every page which was useful - at least bring that option back.

Updating - I am sure genes have the technology to provide a Hot Mail page that works like the message preview box on outlook- whereby you can view the content at first glance. at least then we can speed read through page at a time and just keep the relevant ones ( with the aid of a tick box by each entry and a delete remaining entries for whole page.

I do not go into my hot mail very often now in its current format as it is so time consuming and boring . However I do not want to discard the idea of Genes seaching its vast data resources on my behalf for possibly matches as it used to provide me with valuable information- when it was more manageable.

BRING BACK EASY DELETE
50 OR MORE PAGES OF USELESS HOT MAIL CONTACTS AND GROWING MUST TAKE UP VALUABLE SPACE ON THE SYSTEM

Andrea

Andrea Report 4 Nov 2010 17:08

I second everything that Davina said above - why no 'easy delete' anymore please??
One thing i have realised over the last few years is that technological developments dont always make ones life easier!!